Our keto-friendly Low Carb Meatloaf recipe is so easy to make and the result is tender and juicy meatloaf every time!
It’s pretty common knowledge that meatloaf is already a keto staple for those who follow a low-carb diet. But this basic meatloaf recipe made keto-style is also super moist and delicious! Did we mention it’s sugar-free? This is the recipe you’ll reach for when you’re doing your weekly meal prep!
Low Carb Meatloaf
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your DINNER Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Basic meatloaf always starts with ground beef. Check the beef percentages on the label, which refers to the percent of lean meat and fat by weight. In a low-carb lifestyle, 70/30 or 90/10 is preferred for the higher fat content, juicier meat, and crispy exterior. Choose a fattier blend for this recipe (hint: it’s also cheaper!). Ground pork and turkey are good additions for a firmer meatloaf, but they are less fatty meats and will produce a denser, drier, meatloaf.
Ingredients to Make Meatloaf
BINDER – A few ingredients to bind the meat like an egg, some almond flour, and some seasonings are all you need for a healthy meatloaf that is low carb and absolutely delicious!
VARIATIONS – As long as it stays within the keto list of ingredients, you can make a stuffed meatloaf by adding shredded cheese, bacon bits, diced bell peppers, even jalapenos!
The best way to achieve a moist meatloaf is to use a fattier blend like 70/30 or 90/10. Also, replacing the 1 tablespoon of olive oil when sautéing the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of bacon fat (always save bacon fat in a small jar in the refrigerator!) will not only add extra moisture, but a savory, salty, bacon flavor!
How to Make the Best Meatloaf!
This is the fun part and it’s easy to get the kids involved in this part, too!
- Line a loaf pan with aluminum foil and spray with pan release.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Let cool completely.
- Mix remaining ingredients (except topping) in a large bowl. PRO TIP: Using your warm hands during this step makes the mixing go faster!
For the Topping
- While the meatloaf is baking whisk together the low sugar tomato sauce and Swerve brown sugar substitute. Set aside.
How to Bake Meatloaf
- Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place in the prepared pan.
- Bake meatloaf for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Brush on sauce and bake another 30 to 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160˚F.
For an easy meatloaf topping recipe with a little crunch, combine ½ cup of crushed pork rinds with some taco seasoning and press into the top of the meatloaf before the second bake.
- For the best keto-style meatloaf glaze, heat 1 cup of sugar-free balsamic vinegar, 1 Tablespoon of low or no sugar tomato paste, and 2 Tablespoons of sugar-free maple syrup.
- Simmer until the glaze is thickened and brush over the meatloaf before the second bake.
- Cool meatloaf up to 10 minutes before removing and slicing.
PRO TIP: Place meatloaf in a larger casserole pan in case any fat drips over the top.
Best Sides for Meatloaf
Meatloaf goes with anything, and keeping it low carb is easy! Here are some of our fave ideas:
- Serve with sauteed kale with garlic & lemon, oven baked spaghetti squash, and a bright salad or low carb coleslaw.
- Cut meatloaf into slices for low carb wraps or bake into muffin tins for an entrée with some yummy mashed cauliflower.
- Divide meatloaf mix in mini-loaf pans for individual workday lunches and serve with some almond pesto zoodles or a fresh cucumber feta salad that will keep you energized all day long! And top dinner off with some Chocolate Coconut Cookies to satisfy that sweet tooth!
How to Reheat Meatloaf
Keep meatloaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will last about 6 days. Freeze mini-loaves or individual slices in small freezer bags with the date labeled on the outside and they will keep about 6 months. Reheat meatloaf in the microwave or under the broiler for about 5 minutes.
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Easy Beef Stir Fry – 30 minute meal!
- Low Carb Hamburger Soup – hearty and delicious.
- Zucchini Lasagna – simple and easy!
- Low Carb Cabbage Rolls– a low carb twist on a classic.
Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup low carb tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon swerve brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a small pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Cool completely.
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Form into a 3"x8" loaf and place on prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes uncovered. Top with topping and bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until loaf reaches 160°F.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.