Broccoli au Gratin is so quick and easy, no one will suspect it’s low-carb!
This recipe features tender bite-sized pieces of broccoli baked in a creamy, cheesy sauce with just the right amount of crispy, seasoned breadcrumbs on top!
Easy Cheesy Broccoli!
- Healthy broccoli is a keto lover’s dream veggie! In this casserole recipe, it stays nice and tender and soaks up the savory sauce. Make it a main dish and add shredded chicken, rotisserie chicken, turkey, or diced ham.
- This recipe features “gratin” which is a browned crispy, crunchy topping. This one uses keto-friendly or low carb bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Easy peasy.
- Baked broccoli and cheese is the perfect casserole side dish to serve with chicken, beef, or pork, or it stands alone as a hearty low-carb vegetarian dish.
Low Carb Ingredients
Broccoli – Choose fresh broccoli florets and cut them to the same size. Use frozen broccoli straight from the bag if time is short. Just add a few minutes to the baking time. Make a new twist by using half broccoli and half cauliflower or by mixing in cauliflower rice for an extra hearty meal.
Sauce – A generous amount of cream cheese, cream, and cheddar cheese make this sauce super creamy and rich. Use full-fat ingredients for the best flavor.
Topping – Super easy to make, keep extra of this topping mix in the pantry for future recipes! Add extra seasonings to the topping for a punch of flavor; try Italian, garlic and herb, or a spicy taco.
Set cream cheese out about 20 minutes before starting so it can come to room temperature. This makes it easier to stir in Step 6.
Add other cheeses like mozzarella, gruyere, brie, or a Mexican cheese blend as substitutes for cheddar.
How To Make Broccoli Au Gratin
- Make keto topping and set aside (as per the recipe below).
- Steam broccoli in a skillet with water, drain, and cover to keep warm.
- Bring heavy cream and seasonings to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Stir in cream cheese until smooth and remove from heat. Stir in shredded cheddar cheese until the sauce is smooth.
- Spread broccoli florets in a casserole dish and pour cheese sauce over the broccoli. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake until browned and bubbly.
Let the casserole set for about 5 minutes before serving. This will give individual portions shape.
What to Serve with Broccoli and Cheese?
Store broccoli au gratin for up to 5 days covered in the refrigerator. Reheat portions in the microwave or sprinkle fresh breadcrumbs on the top and place it under the broiler. Freeze portions for up to 4 weeks, or better yet, simply make it fresh!
Tasty Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli Au Gratin
- 1 slice keto bread
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 3 ½ cups broccoli florets approx. one large head
- 1 cup water
- 2 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Blend keto bread in a food processor until it becomes crumbs. Mix with melted butter and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Wash broccoli and place it in a non-stick skillet. Add 1 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cover broccoli and steam 4-6 minutes. Remove & place in a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream, onion powder, salt and pepper to boiling. Reduce heat and let simmer 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Spread broccoli evenly in the bottom of a 2 qt baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over the broccoli. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.