Easy homemade Low Carb Coleslaw is a no-fail side dish that is always welcome at the dinner table.
With cabbage and carrots tossed in a tangy dressing, it is light, nourishing, and perfect for picnics or potlucks. This low carb coleslaw recipe is perfect served alongside an Italian stuffed burger, a delicious fajita turkey burger, or a turkey burgers.
Low Carb Coleslaw
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SIDES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What Is Coleslaw Made Of?
Coleslaw, or slaw, as it is sometimes called, is a raw salad that has shredded cabbage as its main ingredient. Usually, grated carrots are also added. It is mixed with a dressing, either in a creamy or vinaigrette form.
We love the fact that cabbage is super healthy, making coleslaw the perfect side to any of your favorite low carb entrees!
The fun thing about coleslaw is that, just like any salad, you can vary the ingredients however you want. Here are some ideas for tasty add-ins that can make your coleslaw the best ever!
- Fruits: chopped pineapple, raisins, or capers
- Veggies: chopped peppers, diced celery, or sweet onion
- Seasonings: Old Bay, celery seed or celery salt
To make creamy coleslaw, dress with mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper and serve.
To make keto coleslaw, you can leave out the carrot altogether, and eliminate the sugar from the vinaigrette dressing. Now that’s one easy coleslaw recipe!
How To Shred Cabbage For Coleslaw
When making coleslaw, how fine you shred the cabbage will depend on who you ask. Personally, I find raw cabbage to be quite tough so it’s best to shred it quite fine. This is achieved easily with a grater or I like to use a food processor or mandoline slicer.
If you like to control the texture in your coleslaw, you can also shred it with a knife. Make sure to use your largest and sharpest blade for this task!
- Peel off any loose leaves and rinse under cold water.
- Place on a cutting board with the stem facing you.
- Carefully cut the whole cabbage in half through the stem, then into quarters, also through the stem.
- Turn each quarter 90° and finely slice across to get thin strands.
How To Make Homemade Coleslaw
This low carb coleslaw recipe is made in 3 easy steps!
- Shred cabbage and chop carrots.
- Prepare dressing in a separate bowl.
- Toss all ingredients together.
Refrigerate for several hours, re-tossing a few more times before serving! This allows the cabbage to soak up the dressing and become packed with flavor.
How Long Does Coleslaw Last?
Coleslaw can be refrigerated for 3-4 days. If you are dressing it with mayonnaise, you’ll discover it will separate so you can pour off the liquid and redress with more mayo if you desire.
You won’t notice that issue so much with coleslaw dressed with vinaigrette. In fact, you’ll discover the flavors develop deliciously well!
Can You Freeze Coleslaw?
I wouldn’t recommend it! Raw veggies of any kind should not be frozen, and the same goes for coleslaw. Freezing causes the cells to burst, resulting in a pile of yucky mush. So just make enough for a meal and refrigerate your leftovers.
More Side Dishes You’ll Love:
- Cauliflower & Potato Salad – classic potluck or BBQ dish.
- Caesar Salad – low carb & keto-friendly!
- Roasted Radishes – only 4 ingredients!
- Zucchini Pizza Bites – ready in 20 mins!
- Low Carb (Keto) Zucchini Fries – perfectly crispy & crunchy.
Low Carb Coleslaw
- 5 cups green cabbage
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Toss with cabbage and carrots. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.