This Easy Shepherd’s Pie is not only flavorful, but filling! Packed with all the heartiest veggies like onions, celery, a carrot (just one!), and mushrooms and cooked in beef stock.
This cauliflower shepherd’s pie is not only super low carb but easy to put together! We love serving it alongside some roasted radishes for the perfect meal.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Easy Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie is also called cottage pie and is usually made with lamb or ground beef, an assortment of vegetables and then topped with mashed potato. Sometimes a layer of grated cheese is sprinkled over the mashed potatoes and baked.
This keto shepherd’s pie transforms the traditionally one-pot entrée into a nutritional, fiber filled favorite that everyone will ask for again and again!
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
Lamb is the traditional meat for shepherd’s pie, but any kind of minced or ground meat will do. Beef and turkey are great substitutes for a keto shepherds pie as well.
If it’s a low carb vegetable, it can go into this keto shepherd’s pie recipe. Onions, celery, mushrooms, even broccoli, peas or green beans make for a colorful entrée.
Beef stock, tomato paste, and garlic give the base for this pie some depth, but what really makes this recipe a standout is the mashed cauliflower topping! Mashed with cheddar cheese and cream cheese and seasoned with butter and onion powder! Not only filling, but filled with nutrients!
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie
Making this baked pie is an easy two step process. First you will want to prep your cauliflower topping and then make your meaty mixture. These two are layered and sprinkled with cheese to make an irresistible main course!
To Make the Cauliflower Topping:
- Steam and Mash: Steam a head of finely chopped cauliflower, drain well and process in a food processor until pureed. If you don’t have a food processor, use a potato masher. You want to get a ‘mashed potato’ consistency.
- Mix: Stir the cauliflower mash with the remaining topping ingredients and set aside.
To Make the Shepherds Pie Mixture:
- Meat: Cook the meat, onion, and garlic in until well done and drain the fat.
- Veggies: Add your vegetables, and remaining ingredients. Stir and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Then Prep the Final Dish: Place the meat mixture on the bottom of the greased casserole dish and top with the cauliflower mash and extra shredded cheese. Bake until the top is golden and bubbly. Mmmm!
What to Serve with Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower Mash
More Low Carb Main Dishes:
- Keto Chili – packed with hearty goodness!
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup – great comfort food.
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet – just 3 easy steps.
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – ready t0 serve in 30 minutes!
- Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry! – simple 4 ingredients sauce!
Low Carb Shepherd's Pie (Cauliflower)
- 1 lb lean ground lamb or beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 head cauliflower washed and chopped
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- Steam cauliflower until tender and drain well.
- Place in a mesh strainer and press to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Using a food processor (or blender) puree cauliflower. Stir in cream cheese, onion powder, butter and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add mushrooms, celery, carrot, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and beef stock. Stir and simmer uncovered about 5-7 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Place meat mixture in the bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish. Top with mashed cauliflower and finally remaining cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Rest 10 minutes before serving.