Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto is one of our favorite low carb side dishes that pairs with almost any entree!
Rich mushrooms are sauteed with riced cauliflower, cream, parmesan cheese, and other herbs and seasonings to reimagine a staple risotto recipe without the carbs. And not only is it super easy to make, it’s a budget friendly dish as well, so what’s not to love?
Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SIDES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Who would have thought an expensive Italian entrée that takes over an hour to make because of endless pot watching and stirring could be reimagined into a healthy, crazy quick, fancy entrée? Serve it alongside a keto caesar salad and pork tenderloin for the best guilt free dinner ever!
What Is Risotto?
Risotto is a traditional Italian creamy rice dish made with Arborio rice and sometimes meat and other vegetables. Most home cooks avoid making risotto because of the tricky nature of coaxing the creamy texture out of the rice. If you’re not sure of what you are doing or you are a novice cook, risotto can be frustrating to make. Lots and lots of stirring! And, who has time for that!
These days, busy home cooks need a simple cauliflower and mushroom low carb risotto that promises all the mouth-watering flavor of the original recipe without the time, cost, or carbs!
What Is Cauliflower Risotto?
Can’t get over the fact it’s not ‘real’ rice? Just knowing that cauliflower rice has 5 net carbs in one cup versus 53 net carbs in one cup of arborio rice is definitely worth giving this cauliflower rice risotto recipe a try.
Cauliflower rice converts to complex carbs that keep you fuller longer than regular rice. Cauliflower is also packed with phytonutrients and antioxidants that protect against cancer. That’s crazy, right?
How Do You Make Risotto From Scratch?
Cauliflower mushroom risotto cooks way faster than traditional risotto, as you don’t need to worry about cooking rice.
- Begin by cooking the mushrooms. You want to get a nice caramelization on them – this adds a ton of great flavor to the dish! Set aside.
- In the pan, saute the onion, garlic and thyme.
- Add riced cauliflower and cook until just tender.
- Add cream, cheese, mushrooms and parsley.
Who would have thought a basic cauliflower mushroom recipe could be so easy and taste so good? Mama Mia!
What Ingredients Can You Add To Risotto?
This low carb risotto has mushrooms, but no need to stop there. Add chicken for a complete meal, or keep it with the vegetable theme and add asparagus, broccoli, green beans or even kale.
Serve your guests this creamy cauliflower mushroom risotto, they won’t even know it’s cauliflower rice instead of traditional arborio rice!
More Low Carb Recipes You’ll Love
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – so easy!
- Zucchini Lasagna – a classic re-imagined!
- Keto Chili – a family favorite.
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup (Zoodle) – hearty and cozy!
- Low Carb Cabbage Rolls – delicious twist on a classic!
Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or soy substitute
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- ½ onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 head cauliflower riced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- drizzle of truffle oil optional
- Combine mushrooms, soy sauce and garlic.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes without stirring or until they begin to caramelize. Stir and cook until cook through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add riced cauliflower, seasoning salt and pepper to taste, stir to combine.
- Cook 9-11 minutes or until tender but not mushy.
- Add cream, parmesan cheese, parsley and mushrooms (along with any mushroom juice that may have accumulated on the plate).
- Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with truffle oil if desired and serve warm.