This Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna is sure to satisfy that craving for a meal that is cheesy, flavorful, and filling.
This simple recipe replaces heavy carb-laden typical wheat noodles with healthy strips of zucchini! These strips, along with a delicious tomato meat sauce made with ground beef and sausage and three types of cheese are all layered together and baked until golden, bubbly and so delicious!
Low Carb Lasagna!
- Everything that makes lasagna so delicious is stuffed into this casserole – cheese, meat, and tomato sauce.
- The one difference is that the noodles are replaced with thinly sliced zucchini, making this a low carb keto creation that will make everyone satisfied and happy.
- The final touch is the top layer of mozzarella cheese, which is added at the end and baked for another few minutes. The result is a top that is golden, warm, bubbling and so hard to resist.
NOODLES: Zucchini lasagna noodles are easy to make. Any size zucchini will do, however, this is a great way to use up those large zucchini from the garden! Simply slice the zucchini thin, about 1/4 inch thick for perfect squash noodles. A mandolin will help ensure the zucchini are evenly sliced. Too much zucchini? Use the rest to make some tasty zoodles and freeze for later!
SAUCE: This pasta sauce is made from ground beef and sausage, pasta sauce and diced tomatoes, with a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. After cooking the meat, make sure to drain off any extra fat.
CHEESE: There are three types of cheese in this casserole – ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella. Ricotta is a smooth cheese that will add a layer of creaminess to the dish. The final mozzarella topping is so cheesy and golden brown.
- Zucchini can be replaced with slices of eggplant to create an eggplant lasagna! Or use the thinly sliced zucchini and roll it instead of layering for some tasty zucchini lasagna roll ups! Or hollow out zucchini and make some fun Keto lasagna zucchini boats.
- Replace the ground beef or sausage with shredded chicken or leftover turkey for a tasty variation.
- Cottage cheese is a great substitute for ricotta cheese, while mozzarella could be substituted with Monteray Jack or fresh mozzarella.
- Create a vegetarian lasagna! Simply omit the meat and replace it with some mushrooms, kale, and other vegetables.
How To Make Zucchini Lasagna
Every layer is a delicious addition which makes this casserole a completely satisfying creation.
- Thinly slice the zucchini as per the recipe below.
- Make the pasta sauce.
- Combine the cheese and spinach mixture.
- Layer the ingredients and bake.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until golden and delish!
Serving Suggestions And Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and can also be stored in the freezer for 3 months. To reheat make sure that the lasagna has thawed (let it thaw in the refrigerator). Place it in an oven-safe dish, cover with aluminum foil, and cook in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes. Add a bit more cheese to the top and broil for 2-3 minutes to get that nicely browned cheese crust!
More Lasagna Inspired Recipes!
- Cabbage Lasagna – hearty and healthy
- Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms – perfect entree or appetizer
- Low Carb Creamy Tomato Casserole – ready in under an hour!
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – perfect comfort food
Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 zucchini cut into slices 1/4" thick
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion medium
- 2 cups pasta sauce divided
- 7 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- ½ cup cooked spinach chopped, drained
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- Cook zucchini in a 400˚F oven for 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Fry the ground beef, sausage, and onion till brown. Add 1 cup pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Heat through.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the beaten eggs with the ricotta cheese. Add the spinach, parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- Pour ½ cup pasta sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Layer zucchini, meat sauce, zucchini, cheese mixture, zucchini, final layer of meat sauce and a final layer of zucchini. Top with remaining ½ cup pasta sauce.
- Bake uncovered in a 350˚F oven for 1 hour. Cover with mozzarella cheese and continue to bake until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Note: Ground beef can be used in place of the Italian sausage if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw frozen lasagna in the refrigerator, then place in an oven-safe dish. Cover with foil, and bake for about 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil, top with mozzarella and broil for 2-3 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.