Mashed Cauliflower with Cream Cheese is a great alternative to potatoes, especially if you want to reduce your carbohydrates. This delicious dish is made with cauliflower, cream cheese and sour cream mashed together with herbs!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Mashed Cauliflower with Cream Cheese
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
A Delicious Keto Side Dish
Mashed cauliflower has only 25 calories per cup compared to mashed potatoes, which contain more than 200 calories! Meanwhile, it provides lots of the vital fiber and micronutrients that you need every day. It’s no wonder mashed cauliflower is becoming such a popular low carb side.
This loaded cauliflower mash recipe is keto friendly because we have upped the fat content with more butter, sour cream and cream cheese!
How Do You Make Mashed Cauliflower
It takes just 4 simple steps to make this delicious low carb side dish!
- Steam – Break cauliflower into chunks and steam until soft.
- Strain – Using a strainer, gently press out as much water as possible from the cauliflower.
- Blend – Combine all the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Heat – Return mash to the pot to reheat and top with your choice of herbs or cheese!
How To Thicken Cauliflower Mash
If you find your mashed cauliflower turns out a bit watery, don’t despair!
- Make a cornstarch or flour slurry. Return the mashed cauliflower to the pot, slowly add the slurry, stirring while reheating until you reach the desired consistency.
- You could also add a little more cream cheese to help it thicken up!
Can You Freeze Cauliflower Mash?
Mashed cauliflower with cream cheese holds up well in the freezer for about four months.
To Freeze: If you have leftovers or are making it ahead, place in airtight freezer containers or zippered bags.
To Reheat: You can reheat it straight from the freezer in the microwave, toaster oven or stovetop.
Tips for Success!
- Be sure you squeeze the mashed cauliflower as much as you possibly can before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Steam, don’t boil the cauliflower if you can. This will help ensure it is not too watery. If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can just cook the cauliflower in an inch of water in a covered pot. This will give you a similar effect to steaming.
- Turn it into a casserole! Follow the recipe as written then place it in a casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese of your choice, and maybe even some bacon bits, and pop under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese. So delicious!
- You can opt to eliminate or reduce the dairy ingredients if you’re worried about calories.
- Use this cauliflower mash to top other dishes like a meaty shepherd’s pie!
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Cauliflower Potato Salad – another delicious potato substitute!
- Zucchini Fries – keto-friendly side dish!
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon – my go-to for an easy low carb side!
- Roasted Radishes – surprisingly easy and delicious!
- BLT Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps – a perfect light lunch option!
Mashed Cauliflower with Cream Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower about 2.5-3lbs
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Wash cauliflower and steam or boil 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- In a mesh strainer, gently press cauliflower to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Using an immersion blender (or food processor) puree cauliflower to desired consistency. Add in remaining ingredients.
- Place back into the pot and heat on the stove on medium low until heated through. Top with butter and chives if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.