While store bought seasonings are great to have on hand and a fabulous way to add flavor with very few calories, I prefer to make my own southwest seasoning!
This low carb southwest seasoning is a wonderful mixture that goes well with chicken, fish or pork! Use it to add some flair to tex mex dishes or as a dry rub for the grill! Love spice? Up the cayenne pepper to add some extra heat! Double or triple the recipe and store this in a small container in the cupboard!
Low Carb Seasoning Mix
- Not only is it super cheap, but making your own seasonings allows you to control the ingredients!
- MSG is often found in many pre-made seasonings as well as added flour, starches and preservatives. But with this homemade version, all of that is eliminated!
- Southwest seasoning is so versatile, it can be added to almost any type of meat. And it’s delicious on grilled or oven roasted vegetables too.
- This seasoning recipe can easily be doubled so that there is plenty to keep on hand.
How To Make Southwest Seasoning
- Simply combine all the spices together, mix and store!
Prepackaged mixes often have ingredients that we might like to eliminate from our diets! I personally don’t love salt (I know, weird right?)… so I can add less or eliminate salt in my mixes completely!
Increase or decrease the amount of spice, especially cayanne and chili powder, to match taste or diet preferences.
Use this mix on an array of meats like pork, chicken, fish or beef. And it’s delicious sprinkled on grilled or roasted vegetables, and even adds a tasty flair to scrambled eggs! Add it to Keto breadcrumbs for a tasty way to add some crunch to almost any dish.
Storing Southwest Seasoning
Use an airtight container to keep seasonings fresh. A zippered bag, a plastic container with tight fitting lid, or a glass mason jar with a lid are all good options for storage.
Choose a dark cupboard, away from direct light as the best location to store seasonings.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Combine all ingredients. Store in a sealed container for up to 6 months.
- Perfect for grilled chicken, fish or pork!
- Keep seasoning in an airtight container such as a zippered bag, a plastic container with tight fitting lid, or a glass mason jar with a lid.
- Store seasonings in a dark cupboard, or anywhere away from light.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.