This eggplant lasagna is the perfect keto casserole for any occasion!
This delicious entree has two kinds of rich and creamy cheese, a savory Italian sauce, and layers and layers of healthy, low-carb eggplant!
Assemble this eggplant lasagna recipe a day ahead and freeze or bake when ready!
Easy Eggplant Lasagna
- Low carb delish! This recipe for eggplant lasagna has all the rich and meaty texture and flavor of a traditional lasagna without the heavy carbs!
- Healthy & wholesome eggplant makes perfect keto lasagna noodles and doesn’t need to be cooked first!
- This recipe is uber-versatile and tastes even better as leftovers!
- Make and enjoy all week and serve with a radish salad, cherry tomato salad or a cucumber feta salad.
Ingredients and Variations
Eggplant – No need to peel eggplant! Use a mandolin for perfectly thick slices and don’t forget the eggplant prep in Step 1. This draws out excess moisture in the eggplant. Don’t worry if the slices break, it’s easy to layer them in the dish and no one will know!
Meat Sauce – Rao’s is a famous keto sauce brand because it has low-sugar. It can be pricey, so feel free to look for other brands with little to no added sugar or make your own. Make your own Italian seasonings and adjust them to your favorite flavor profile. This blend is also great as a low-carb rub or ingredient for dips and dressings!
Cheese – Go for full-fat versions for the best flavor! Grate your own mozzarella if you can because pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents in it that inhibit melting. Save some bucks and use cottage cheese for the ricotta but keep the amounts the same for the cheesiest results!
Variations – Switch out eggplant for zucchini or use both! Layer in other low-carb vegetables like sliced mushrooms, black olives, and even chopped kale, and omit the meat for a vegetarian version!
How to Make Eggplant Lasagna
- Prep eggplant slices as directed and season with oregano before baking, flipping halfway through.
- Brown beef with Italian seasoning and drain fat. Stir in 2 cups of pasta sauce and water, simmer until thickened.
- Blend ricotta, cottage cheese and eggs in a bowl.
- Assemble eggplant lasagna per the recipe directions below. Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake lasagna until browned and bubbly. Let the lasagna cool before serving.
Keep leftover eggplant lasagna covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat portions in the microwave. Freeze portions in airtight containers and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. Or freeze the whole eggplant lasagna before or after baking!
Did you try this Keto Eggplant Lasagna recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- 24 ounces Rao’s Pasta Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 large eggplants
- olive oil spray
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup cooked spinach squeezed dry
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Slice eggplant into ¼" slices. Generously cover with salt and let sit in a strainer about 30 minutes. Rinse well and dab dry. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place eggplant slices on a parchment lined pan (2 pans), season with oregano, and bake 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F for the lasagna.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef with Italian seasoning in a pan. Drain fat. Add 2 cups pasta sauce and 1 cup water. Simmer 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, egg, egg yolk, and cooked spinach in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Place ⅓ of the eggplant slices over the tomato sauce. Layer ½ cheese mixture, ½ meat mixture.
- Repeat with ⅓ eggplant, remaining cheese mixture, remaining meat mixture and finally remaining eggplant. Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake uncovered an additional 15 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.