With a sautéed mushroom base and savory seasonings, this easy keto gravy recipe has all the delicious flavors of a flour-based gravy!
Xantham gum is a flavorless binder and thickener that transforms these low carb ingredients into a rich and creamy mushroom flavored gravy that goes with anything! Perfect served over biscuits, or used to smother pork or chicken.
Easy Keto Gravy Recipe
- Super easy to make without flour and gluten-free, this creamy gravy only takes a few minutes and can be used in so many ways.
- With just a few ingredients and seasonings, keto gravy is ready in less than 10 minutes. Double up the batch and use it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Keto gravy is the answer to all your everyday gravy needs! It goes perfectly with breakfast biscuits, creamy pork chops, meatloaf, and even beef stroganoff, and as a side to this delicious recipe for low carb Philly cheesesteak, chicken breast or roast chicken.
Ingredients And Variations
MUSHROOMS: Any variety of mushrooms will do, the key to this recipe is to let them ‘sweat’ until their juices are released, which gives the gravy its flavor.
CREAM: In any low carb recipe, cream adds flavor and healthy fats. Other creamy alternatives are almond or coconut milk, but they might not be as thick as dairy cream.
ADD-INS: Besides sliced mushrooms, keto sausage gravy is another variation of this recipe that delivers the same flavor and texture as ordinary sausage gravy.
How To Make Keto Gravy
- Saute mushrooms, onion powder, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning in butter until the mushrooms release their liquid.
- In another bowl, whisk water, broth, and Xantham gum (as per the recipe below).
- Add this mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
Gravy Making Tips!
- If a few carbs aren’t an issue, then a cornstarch slurry can replace the Xantham gum by combining cold water and cornstarch in a jar and shaking it until it’s smooth. Whisk it into the simmering broth.
- A dash of Kitchen Bouquet will give this homemade keto that deep brown, gravy color, but, like the cornstarch slurry, will add a few carbs.
Simple Storage Solutions
Keep leftover keto gravy in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Whisk before reheating on the stovetop. Freeze in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks. Thaw overnight or in a saucepan on medium-low heat.
Recipes for Gravy
- Keto Biscuit Recipe – perfect for biscuits & gravy
- Cauliflower Stuffing – tasty holiday side
- Easy Turkey Burgers– easy Thanksgiving entree
- Mashed Cauliflower with Cream Cheese – low carb mashed potatoes
Keto Gravy Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced, about 3 ounces
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2.6 cups chicken or turkey broth condensed, low sodium, 10.5 ounce can
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum more as needed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in mushrooms, onion powder, garlic powder and poultry seasoning. Cook 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms release their liquid.
- In a medium bowl whisk broth, water and xanthan gum. You may have a few lumps, this is ok.
- Add the broth mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook 5 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cornstarch slurry can be used in place of xanthan gum - but keep in mind it will add a few carbs to the recipe. Combine equal parts cornstarch and water, then whisk into the simmering broth.
- For a richer brown color, 1/8 tsp of Kitchen Bouquet can be added but just be aware that it will also add a few carbs to the recipe.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.