Let the noodles (or zucchini zoodles) swim in this delicious Low Carb Beef Stroganoff recipe!
Beef stroganoff with mushrooms is a classic dish made quickly and easily in one pot with low carb ingredients. This simple recipe combines strips of beef cooked in a sour cream, cream cheese, and beef broth base that is savory, creamy and so delicious!
Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN COURSE Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What is Beef Stroganoff?
- The most notable thing about a stroganoff is the sauce, which is usually made with sour cream, thus giving it a savory and tangy flavor. This recipe also adds some cream cheese, making the sauce thicker and creamier.
- The cut of meat used in a classic stroganoff is generally an inexpensive cut of meat. However, any beef will do including ground beef. Leftover roast beef or steak would be a quick and easy substitute.
Low Carb Ingredients
THE STEAK: Cut the steak against the grain. Tenderize the meat with a mallet if it’s a bit tough and remember to let it come to room temperature before cooking. Another great option is to add browned ground beef instead of the steak.
THE SAUCE: Stroganoff sauce has a very distinct, savory flavor. Beef broth, Dijon mustard, and cream cheese are heated until smooth and creamy. Then the beef is added to finish cooking and the sour cream is stirred in once removed from the heat.
How Do You Make Beef Stroganoff
- Cut steak into strips and brown in batches.
- Sauté mushrooms and onion in butter (as per recipe below).
- Combine broth, Dijon, cream cheese, & Worcestershire sauce in the pan until melted and smooth.
- Add beef. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Brown meat using the sauté function. Remove.
- Cook the onions in butter, add mushrooms and garlic. Turn off saute function.
- Add the cream cheese, broth, Dijon & Worcestershire sauce. Stir until smooth. Add meat.
- Close and lock lid in place. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Release pressure and stir in sour cream.
Crock Pot or Slow Cooker:
- Saute onion in butter until translucent. Place mushrooms and garlic in bottom of Crockpot, add onion.
- Brown beef in pan, place in Crockpot.
- Deglaze pan with a bit of the beef broth, then add drippings over the meat and veggies.
- Slightly soften cream cheese in the microwave, then whisk together with the Dijon, Worcestershire and remaining beef broth. Pour over meat.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 7-8 or until beef is tender. When finished cooking add the sour cream and stir. Serve.
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
Stroganoff does not freeze well because of the sour cream. So if you do have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. Leftovers can also be transformed into a delicious casserole. Make some low carb egg noodles and add to the beef mixture (top with some cheese if you like). Bake for 25-20 minutes at 350˚F until heated through.
If preparing stroganoff ahead of time and would like to freeze it, cook as directed but do not add the sour cream. Freeze in batches with the date labeled on tightly sealed containers or plastic zipper bags. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave and stir in sour cream once heated through.
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Braised Steak and Mushrooms – another beef and mushroom recipe!
- Beef Rouladen – tender rolled meat with pickles!
- Easy Beef Stir Fry – quick and easy.
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups – with zucchini in place of noodles!
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe – just 15 minute prep.
Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak or 2 cups cooked beef roast or leftover roast
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 ¼ cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ounce cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Cut steak into 1" strips. Heat oil to medium-high heat and brown steak in small batches (no need to cook through). Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add butter and onion. Cook onion until tender.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Combine broth, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cream cheese. Simmer and whisk until creamy and slightly thickened. Add beef and cook 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Serve over cauliflower mash, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.