This Keto Sausage Gravy recipe is so easy to make and it’s absolutely delicious!
This low-carb sausage gravy is made with heavy cream, cream cheese, and a little chicken broth. Simmer in some onion and ground sausage and it’s a delicious way to start the day. Serve this savory sausage gravy with your favorite low carb biscuits for a comfort food breakfast or a tasty dinner.
Low Carb Sausage Gravy
- Adapting recipes to keto has never been easier! Keto sausage gravy for breakfast will keep everyone energized all day!
- Similar to the color and texture of country gravy, this keto sausage gravy recipe is flour-free, so it’s also gluten-free.
- Serve sausage gravy as a side or to top a casserole like this sausage egg casserole or these yummy bacon egg muffins. Or smother it over chaffles, scrambled eggs, or keto biscuits for the ultimate low carb comfort food.
Ingredients and Variations
SAUSAGE: Ground pork sausage has a savory flavor that makes keto gravy so delicious. Air fryer bacon, diced ham, or ground turkey can all be used as substitutes, but you may need to adjust the seasonings. Or make a meatless gravy and use sliced mushrooms instead.
GRAVY: Cream cheese, heavy cream, and a little bit of chicken broth give gravy its depth of flavor.
XANTHAN GUM: What is Xanthan Gum? Made by fermenting sucrose with bacteria, xanthan gum is used as a thickening agent and a binder. For this recipe, it’s used in place of almond flour or coconut flour. It is a common additive to many keto-based prepared foods and recipes and it is safe to use.
PRO TIP: For the best flavor, a pinch of nutmeg will add flavor to any gravy or cream-based sauce.
How to Make Keto Sausage Gravy
This quick and easy low carb sausage gravy will be on regular rotation because it can be used in so many ways!
- Brown sausage in a large pan with onions over medium heat, then drain fat.
- Stir in xanthan gum and then pour chicken broth in stages, mixing after each addition.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients (as per recipe below) and simmer until the gravy is thickened.
Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Gravy Making Tips!
Let cream cheese come to room temperature so that it mixes easily with the other ingredients.
Add liquid in small amounts to mixture and stir well. This helps incorporate the liquid without creating a lumpy gravy.
Hearty Low Carb Meals with Gravy
Here are some more low-carb recipes that breakfast gravy goes great with!
- Baked Bone In Chicken Breast – delicious topped with gravy.
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – tender and juicy.
- Low Carb Meatloaf – savory and delicious.
- Best Pork Loin Roast Recipe – easy to make.
Keto Sausage Gravy
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾-1 cup chicken broth
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add xanthan gum and stir well to combine.
- Add broth a bit at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened.
- Serve gravy over warm biscuits.
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature so that it mixes easily with the other ingredients.
Add chicken broth in small amounts and stir well to avoid creating a lumpy gravy.