This spaghetti squash with meat sauce is all the things comfort food is about, without the carbs! With just a little ‘squash prep’ you can have a full on healthy, low carb spaghetti squash dinner on the table in less time than it takes to boil regular spaghetti pasta!
I love pairing spaghetti squash with meat sauce with a keto caesar salad for the most satisfying low carb dinner ever.
Low carbers, rejoice! Finally, a baked spaghetti squash recipe that is easy to make, tastes great and is good for you. This guilt free recipe is a keeper for any home chef looking to add a healthy addition to the family dinner table! The kids will never know.
Spaghetti squash carbs are nothing compared to wheat-based spaghetti noodles, coming in at a mere 7 grams of carbs per cup versus a whopping 43 grams of carbs. This recipe is not only rich in fiber and protein, but packs a healthy dose of antioxidants!
How to Cut Spaghetti Squash
Don’t be intimidated by the heavy weight or awkward feel of handling spaghetti squash. They are relatively easy to prepare and once you get the hang of it, you’ll be replacing pasta noodles with spaghetti squash in everything from hot soups to cold salads!
First, prick the squash all over with a sharp knife, the way you do when preparing to bake a potato. Place the entire squash on a plate and microwave for 4 minutes on high. Remove from microwave and place on a towel to hold it steady. Make a small slice across the bottom of the squash so it can stand vertically. Then cut the squash in half from top to bottom.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Oven
This is where it gets creative: Drizzle the squash with olive oil or melted butter and season with salt, pepper, garlic salt or whichever flavor profile you want to go for. Place in a shallow baking dish or pan and roast in a 425 degree oven for 35 go 45 minutes or until tender.
Gently use two forks to scrape the flesh into ‘strands.’ Now it is cooked and ready to use any way you like!
What makes a great spaghetti squash sauce? Anything that a grain-based pasta noodle can take works with spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash with ground turkey is a good way to use up holiday leftovers and a healthier option to the traditional beef meat sauce.
Just like regular spaghetti, spaghetti squash with meat sauce can be prepared in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or frozen for future weeknight meals. Looks and tastes just like real spaghetti! Just don’t tell the kids!
More Recipes You’ll Love
Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes undrained
- 8 oz tomato sauce low carb/sugar free
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Poke the spaghetti squash with a fork and microwave 5 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Place face down in a casserole dish with 1/3 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 7-8 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Brown garlic, onion, sausage and beef in a large skillet until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add Italian seasoning, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and salt & pepper to taste. Summer uncovered 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over spaghetti squash.