Fried cabbage with sausage is an easy skillet meal that is loaded with flavor!
Cabbage is cooked along with onion, garlic, and broth until tender and flavorful, then fried sausage is added to make this dish extra delicious!
It’s an easy one-pan recipe that is comforting, hearty, and low-carb!
One Pan Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
- Cabbage with sausage is quick, easy, and hearty – perfect for busy nights! It’s not bland or complicated so it will definitely get the job done.
- The next best thing about this meal besides the flavor? It is healthy, low-carb, and even keto. So it will keep everyone at the dinner table happy.
- This comforting and filling meal is one that the whole family will love.
Ingredients and Variations
Sausage – Any sausage will do for this recipe – smoked, spicy, honey garlic, Italian, or Polish. They each add their own distinct flavor to the dish. And remember to slice the sausage the same size, so it cooks evenly.
Cabbage – Buy a cabbage with tight and unblemished leaves. Peel off the outer leaves and remove the core, by cutting around it, then slice the cabbage in half and chop it into pieces. Since this recipe only calls for half a head of cabbage, use the other half for another meal. A cabbage soup, fried cabbage with bacon or pork and cabbage skillet would all be delicious ways to use up that cabbage.
Variations – Add a few spices like cajun pepper, and paprika. Another option is to add a splash of vinegar and sugar to the cabbage which will make it a little more caramelized and sweet.
How To Make Fried Cabbage And Sausage
Create the perfect meal with this fried cabbage and sausage skillet recipe.
- Cook sausage and remove from pan.
- Sautée cabbage with onion, garlic, and broth.
- Stir in the sausage as per the recipe below.
Keep leftover cabbage with sausage in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat, or even enjoy it cold! Alternately, place leftovers in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen cabbage and sausage in the refrigerator, then add to a large skillet and cook until just heated through.
Successful Cabbage With Sausage
- Cabbage and sausage are easy to prep ahead of time. Chop the sausage, onion, and cabbage and have them ready to toss into the skillet. Dinner will go from stove to table in no time at all!
- Use a large skillet for this recipe, large enough to fit everything in the pan and to fry everything evenly. If the sausage is crowded when cooking, it will be less brown and crispy.
- Cut the cabbage to consistent size for even cooking.
Have you tried this Fried Cabbage and Sausage recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Fried Cabbage And Sausage Recipe
- 3 tablespoons salted butter divided
- 12 ounces smoked sausage
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ head cabbage chopped, approx. 6-7 cups
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chicken broth not low sodium
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon butter. Cook sausage until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and onion. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic and broth. Cook uncovered until cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Use a large skillet so everything will fit and cook evenly.
- Cut sausage and cabbage to similar sizes for even cooking.
- Chop ingredients ahead of time, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw frozen cabbage and sausage in the refrigerator. Reheat in a skillet.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.