There are some meals where just two simple main ingredients make the dish a success, and this recipe of Fried Cabbage and Sausage is no exception.
In this easy to make recipe juicy, flavorful, and tender sausage is fried in a large skillet. Then thinly sliced cabbage is fried in butter, releasing its tender and sweet juices. A little garlic, onions, and some chicken broth are added and then all tossed together for a comforting and filling meal that the whole family will love.
Fried Cabbage and Sausage
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Cabbage and Sausage Skillet – why we love it section
- Sometimes evenings are just busy, so having something quick and easy to serve is a necessity. Yet, it doesn’t need to be the same bland old boring meal. This cabbage and sausage skillet recipe will hit the spot. Neither bland nor complicated, it will definitely get the job done.
- What’s the best thing about this meal besides the flavor? It’s healthy, low carb, and even keto. So it will keep everyone at the dinner table happy.
Ingredients and Variations
SAUSAGE: Any sausage will do for this recipe – smoked, spicy, honey garlic, Italian or polish. They each add their own distinct flavor to the dish. And remember to slice the sausage the same size, so it cooks evenly.
CABBAGE: Buy a cabbage with tight and unblemished leaves. Peel off the outer leaves and remove the core, by cutting around it, then slice the cabbage in half and chop it into pieces. Since this recipe only calls for half a head of cabbage, use the other half for another meal. A Low Carb Cabbage Soup or Fried Cabbage with Bacon would be delicious options.
VARIATIONS: Add a few spices like cajun pepper, paprika. Another option is to add a splash of vinegar and sugar to the cabbage which will make it a little more caramelized and sweet.
How To Make Fried Cabbage And Sausage
Create the perfect meal with this fried cabbage and sausage skillet recipe.
- Cook sausage and remove from pan.
- Sautée cabbage with onion, garlic, and broth.
- Stir in the sausage as per the recipe below.
A wonderful thing about this dish is that it is so easy to prep ahead of time. Chop the sausage, onion, and cabbage and have them ready to toss into the skillet. Dinner will go from stove to table in no time at all!
Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 days. Don’t have time to eat those leftovers? No worry, just toss them into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen cabbage and sausage in the refrigerator and then add to a large skillet and cook until heated through.
Tips for Success
The best pan for this recipe is a large skillet. It should be large enough to fit everything in the pan and to fry everything evenly. Crowding the sausage will make it less browned and crispy. And finally, make sure that the sausage and the cabbage are cut to the same size respectively.
Other Skillet Recipes!
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – only 15 min prep!
- Cheesy Taco Skillet – delicious
- Stir Fry Chicken And Vegetables -perfect for a mid week meal.
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet – cabbage roll flavor.
- Italian Sausage And Peppers – so much flavor in this easy recipe.
Fried Cabbage and Sausage
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter divided
- 12 ounces smoked sausage
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ head cabbage chopped, approx. 6-7 cups
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chicken broth not low sodium
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tablespoon butter. Cook sausage until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and onion. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic and broth. Cook uncovered until cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Use a large skillet so everything will fit and cook evenly.
- Cut sausage and cabbage to the same size respectively for even cooking.
- Chop ingredients ahead of time, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw frozen cabbage and sausage in the refrigerator. Reheat in a skillet.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.