This cabbage lasagna recipe is healthy, hearty, and most definitely keto!
Looking for a casserole that is low in carbs and high in flavor? Well, look no further than this keto lasagna recipe. With cabbage as a replacement for high-carb pasta, this dish is sure to satisfy that craving for cheesy and delicious lasagna.
Best Keto Lasagna Recipe
- Lasagna with cabbage is the best replacement for the typical lasagna. With almost all the same ingredients like bubbly melted cheese, pasta sauce, ground beef, and Italian seasoning this is sure to be a hit with the family.
- This is also a great make-ahead meal, and leftovers are perfect for freezing.
- Cabbage casserole lasagna is so delish and so easy to make.
- This recipe is a fun twist from a classic cabbage roll recipe.
Ingredients And Variations
CABBAGE: Choose a cabbage that is yellow/green in color. Make sure that is free of blemishes and is firm to the touch. The leaves should also be tightly attached to the stem.
SAUCE: Ground beef, pasta sauce, and Italian seasoning are all combined for the sauce mixture. Remember to drain the fat after the meat has finished cooking. Make a homemade pasta sauce, or choose a low-carb/keto version.
CHEESE MIXTURE: Cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella, eggs, and parsley are the simple ingredients for this cheese mixture. It will make the lasagna extra creamy and cheesy.
VARIATIONS: To make this version vegetarian omit the meat and add some mushrooms and other vegetables to the pasta sauce.
How To Make Cabbage Lasagna
Like most lasagna, there are a couple of layers that need to be made in advance. But once they are done it is so easy and so satisfying to lay it all out in the casserole dish.
- Prepare the cabbage leaves.
- Cook the beef, and add the seasoning and the pasta sauce.
- Mix the cheese mixture together.
- Add the layers to the casserole dish – pasta sauce, cabbage, cheese mixture, repeat!
- Bake covered (as per the recipe below). Add some mozzarella and bake until golden.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. It can also be prepared ahead of time and frozen. Simply defrost in the refrigerator and then reheat in the oven. Another option is to freeze the lasagna in individual portions and have it ready for lunches.
Low Carb Italian Favorites
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna – who needs noodles when eggplant is around?
- Low Carb Baked Feta Pasta Recipe– tasty TikTok fave!
- Cauliflower Parmesan – simple homemade comfort in a bowl.
- Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup – eat keto restaurant style!
Cabbage Lasagna Recipe
- 1 small head of cabbage about 1 ½ lbs
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 ounces low carb pasta sauce such as Rao's
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Slice the bottom off of a head of cabbage and place it into the boiling water. Boil 6-8 minutes and remove leaves as they soften. Place cabbage in a strainer and drain well.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef and drain excess fat.
- Add Italian seasoning and pasta sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix cheese mixture ingredients together. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup of pasta sauce in a 2½ quart baking dish. Dab the cabbage dry and cover bottom of baking dish with 2 or 3 layers of cabbage leaves.
- Top with ½ cup pasta sauce and the cheese mixture.
- Add two more layers of cabbage. Top with remaining pasta sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese and cook 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and rest 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Cabbage Lasagna Recipe!