Creamy Tomato Casserole will have everyone at the table asking for seconds! A juicy bed of ricotta style cheesy cauliflower is layered with rich and meaty tomato sauce, then baked with melted mozzarella on top.
This casserole reminds me of southern style stewed tomato casserole, except it uses cauliflower rice instead of bread or crackers.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Creamy Tomato Casserole
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What’s In Tomato Casserole?
- Cauliflower Rice – When it comes to living a low carb lifestyle, cauliflower rice is where it’s at for replacing starches, because of its high nutrient profile and unmatched flavor.
- Ground Beef – Without ground beef, meat sauce is never quite the same. But you could definitely mix in some ground pork for extra flavor. Or, try switching it up with ground turkey or chopped chicken!
- Mushrooms – These are optional, but definitely add something special.
- Tomato Sauce – It really goes without saying that a tomato casserole would have tomato sauce!
Let’s Make It!
Assembling this tomato casserole is a breeze, in no time you’ll have dinner in the oven.
- Cook the meat and mix with the sauce ingredients (per recipe below).
- Mix cauliflower rice with seasonings. Mix the cottage cheese layer.
- Layer rice, cheese mixture, meat sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake until hot and bubbly!
Serve and savor!
What To Serve With Creamy Tomato Casserole
Or why not serve a simple Caesar Salad on the side? A glass of red will make this meal even more special.
Storing The Leftovers
Cooked meat dishes shouldn’t be left out at room temperature for more than two hours, so put it away after eating.
- Refrigerate: This casserole will last up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge and will probably taste even better the second day!
- Freeze: Tightly cover in an airtight container before freezing. It will last for up to 2 to 3 months.
Creamy Tomato Casserole is perfect for weekends, or as a make-ahead meal for weeknights or lunches! Let’s eat!
Other Delicious Low Carb Casseroles To Try!
- Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole – zesty and delicious!
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups – a low carb twist on a classic.
- Easy Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie – delicious cauliflower replaces potatoes!
- Zucchini Lasagna – Easy and so filling!
- Spinach Cheese Egg Bake – perfect any time of day.
Low Carb Creamy Tomato Casserole
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz low carb pasta sauce such as Raos
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cauliflower rice thawed and squeezed dry, or cooked if homemade
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown beef, onion, and garlic until no pink remains. Stir in pasta sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer 10 minutes uncovered.
- While the beef is cooking, place cottage cheese in a mesh strainer and gently press to drain. Mix cottage cheese, egg, parsley, parmesan, and basil. Set aside.
- If using frozen cauliflower rice, thaw and gently squeeze dry. If using homemade cauliflower rice, cook in a skillet with a little bit of oil until tender.
- Mix the warm cauliflower rice with butter and seasonings. Spread into the bottom of a 2 to 2½ qt baking dish.
- Top with the cheese mixture, the meat sauce, and finally the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before serving.