Creamy Tomato Casserole really scores a double hat trick when it comes to Italian inspired low carb dining! A juicy bed of ricotta style cheesy cauliflower is layered with rich and meaty tomato sauce, then baked with melted mozzarella on top. This recipe will have everyone at the table asking for seconds!
This casserole reminds me of southern style stewed tomato casserole, except it uses cauliflower rice instead of bread or crackers. And it adds cheese, ground beef, and other yumminess. It’s also similar to Eggplant Lasagna, but if someone is coming over and you aren’t sure eggplant is their thing, you won’t go wrong making a cauliflower-based dish instead!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Creamy Tomato Casserole
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What’s In Tomato Casserole?
- Cauliflower Rice – When it comes to living a low carb lifestyle, cauliflower rice is where it’s at for replacing starches, because of its high nutrient profile and unmatched flavor. Mixed with cottage cheese, parmesan, fresh parsley and basil this is going to taste amazing!
- Ground Beef – Without hamburger, meat sauce is never quite the same in my opinion, but you could definitely mix with some ground pork for extra flavor. (That’s a trick my Italian BFF taught me.) Or, try switching it up with ground turkey or chopped chicken if you prefer white meat!
- Mushrooms – These are optional, but they definitely add something special. But whatever you do, don’t forget the garlic!
- Tomato Sauce – It really goes without saying that a tomato casserole would have tomato sauce!
Let’s Make It!
You will find that assembling this tomato casserole is a breeze, in no time you’ll have dinner in the oven.
- Cook the meat and mix with the sauce ingredients (see recipe below).
- Mix cooked and drained cauliflower with cottage cheese, herbs, and parmesan.
- Layer, top with cheese and bake until piping hot and bubbly!
- Serve and savor!
What To Serve With Creamy Tomato Casserole
Serve some low carb keto Zucchini Fries with this, or have it with some Roasted Green Beans, for a meal that will be just as big on flavor as it is on nutrients. Or why not serve a simple Keto Caesar Salad on the side? A bottle of red will make this meal even more special.
Storing The Leftovers
Creamy Tomato Casserole should stay good in the refrigerator for 3 to four days and it will probably taste even better the second day! Cooked meat dishes shouldn’t be left out at room temperature for more than two hours, so put it away after eating.
It should freeze really well, and could be kept frozen for 2 to 3 months. You don’t want to get freezer burn, so just make sure to cover tightly in an airtight container.
Creamy Tomato Casserole is perfect for weekends, or as a make-ahead meal for weeknights or lunches! Let’s eat!
Other Delicious Low Carb Casseroles To Try!
- Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole – zesty and delicious!
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups – a low carb twist on a classic.
- Easy Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie – delicious cauliflower replaces potatoes!
- Zucchini Lasagna – Easy and so filling!
- Spinach Cheese Egg Bake – perfect any time of day.
Low Carb Creamy Tomato Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef or chicken
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can mushrooms drained, optional
- 15 oz tomato sauce low carb
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cauliflower rice cooked and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Stir in drained mushrooms, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Blend cottage cheese and egg until smooth. Stir in parsley, parmesan and basil.
- Combine cottage cheese mixture and cauliflower rice. Spread into the bottom of a 2qt baking dish.
- Top with meat sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before serving.