Delicious and Easy Homemade Zoodles are a low calorie, healthy alternative to pasta noodles! They are the perfect choice for people on low-carb or keto diets.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Easy Homemade Zoodles
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What are Zoodles?
Zoodles are thin pasta-like noodles made from zucchini! The easiest way to make them is with a special tool called a spiralizer which makes the task quick and easy.
While the kids love using a spiralizer to make these zucchini noodles, you can also make them without investing in any special kitchen gadgetry. All you really need is a potato peeler.
How to Make Zoodles
- Spiral vegetable cutter – just mount the zucchini on the prongs, apply a little pressure and rotate the handle.
- Vegetable peeler – all you have to do is hold the zucchini with one hand against your cutting board and peel off long strips as you rotate.
Zoodle noodles cook up much faster than pasta noodles, which is just another reason to love this homemade zoodles recipe!
Remember that zucchini is composed mainly of water, so to prevent your zoodles from getting too mushy, follow these 3 simple steps:
- Saute in olive oil and garlic powder for 2-3 minutes only.
- Top with your favorites! Try keto meat sauce, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, or a little bit of salt and pepper!
- Eat immediately! Moisture will be drawn out of the zoodles and could make your dish watery, so eat up quick!
Uncooked zoodles can be stored in a paper towel lined bowl in the fridge. The paper towel will absorb any water, and making them ahead of time is a great way to keep this keto vegetable on hand for all your recipes.
You can freeze zucchini noodles, but once thawed they will be a bit mushy. So instead of serving them on their own, add them to other things like soups, stews or sauces.
Now that you know how to make this keto zoodles recipe, you’ll be armed and ready to handle every summer’s inevitable bumper crop of zucchini.
Zucchini Recipes To Try!
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup (Zoodle) – so good.
- Almond Pesto Zucchini Noodles – nutty, cheesy and utterly delicious!
- Zucchini Pizza Bites – perfect appetizer or lunch.
- Low Carb (Keto) Zucchini Fries – kid approved!
- Zucchini Lasagna – low carb twist on a classic.
Easy Homemade Zoodles
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash zucchini and cut off the ends. Place the zucchini on the spiralizer and spiralize into desired shape.
- Place zucchini in a pan and toss with olive oil and garlic powder. Cook 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened (do not over cook).
- Top with pasta sauce, salt, pepper & butter, or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.