Easy Homemade Zoodles are low calorie and healthy alternative to pasta noodles! If you have a spiral veggie cutter, zucchini noodles are fun to make too, especially for kids. They are the perfect choice for people on low-carb or keto diets, and great under low carb chicken parmesan!
Spiraled zucchini noodles are mild in flavor, so they adapt to any sauce that you would use on spaghetti. Try them with meat sauce or alfredo sauce. Or, you can serve as a quick and simple side dish with just a dab of butter and sprinkling of salt and pepper.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What are Zoodles?
Zoodles are thin pasta like noodles made from zucchini! They are a great low carb alternative to pasta.
The easiest way to make these zoodles is with a special tool called a spiralizer. It makes quick and easy work of it.
But you can definitely make these noodles without a tool as well. Just grab your vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer and follow the instructions below!
How to Make Zoodles
The easiest way to make zoodles is with a spiral vegetable cutter but you can still enjoy these without investing in any special kitchen gadgetry. All you need is a potato peeler or a mandoline slicer.
- To make with a spiral vegetable cutter, just mount the zucchini on the prongs, apply a little pressure and rotate the handle.
- To make with a peeler, all you have to do is hold the zucchini with one hand against your cutting board and peel off long strips as you rotate. You can treat yellow summer squash the same way, to add some extra color to your plate.
Freezing zoodles is not recommended. Since they have such a high moisture content, they have a tendency to turn mushy when thawed.
How to Cook Zoodles
Another reason to love zoodles – they cook up much faster than pasta noodles. Just remember that zucchini is mostly water, so to prevent your zoodles from getting too mushy or watery, follow these simple steps for cooking:
- Spiralize zucchinis.
- Saute in olive oil and garlic powder for 2-3 minutes, without overcooking so they don’t become mushy.
- Top with keto pasta sauce, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, or a little bit of salt and pepper!
Now that you know how to make zoodles, you’ll be armed and ready to handle every summer’s inevitable bumper crop of zucchini.
Best Zoodle Recipes
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup (Zoodle) – so good
- Almond Pesto Zucchini Noodles – nutty, cheesy and utterly delicious!
- Easy Low Carb Meat Sauce – perfect on these zoodles!
- 2 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash zucchini and cut the ends. Place the zucchini on the spiralizer and spiralize into desired shape.
- Place zucchini in a pan and toss with olive oil and garlic powder. Cook 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened (do not over cook).
- Top with pasta sauce or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love
- Zucchini Pizza Bites – perfect appetizer or lunch
- Low Carb (Keto) Zucchini Fries – kid approved
- Zucchini Lasagna – another great main dish