Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect entree or appetizer for just about any occasion. Portobello mushrooms are stuffed with a delicious cheese layer and quick meat sauce for a low carb dinner like no other.
Savory enough for a fancy dinner party, but simple enough to whip up at a moment’s notice, these easy stuffed mushrooms will be a hit anytime. Trust me. Serve them alongside a keto caesar salad for a meal everyone will rave about!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Perfect Appetizer or Entree
Who doesn’t love lasagna anything? But, lasagna stuffed anything is even better! No dishes to wash, am I right? Even stuffed portobello mushrooms are showing up as vegetarian and vegan options everywhere on menus and in-home kitchens!
Just like Zucchini Lasagna, this lasagna stuffed mushroom recipe is a powerhouse of flavor and is a welcome addition to a fancy party, work event or stay-at-home game night. Just a few simple ingredients and you are good to go!
This recipe can be prepared without the meat and you won’t even miss it! It is THAT good! Perfect for low carb or gluten free guests, especially at the office! Because who doesn’t love lasagna?
How To Make Stuffed Mushrooms
These lasagna stuffed mushroom caps use cottage cheese instead of ricotta for a more affordable option, just make sure to drain the cottage cheese before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mushrooms: Wash and prepare portobello mushrooms
- Sauce & Cheese: Make sauce and cheese mixture and set aside.
- Assemble: In the mushrooms, layer the cheese mixture, meat sauce, and a sprinkle of cheese.
Stuffed Mushroom Tips
- The key here is to make sure the cheese and eggs are blended well enough to not soak the mushroom. Once the sauce is on, a quick sprinkle of mozzarella and parmesan melted in the oven will ‘seal the deal’ and you’ve got the perfect lasagna stuffed mushrooms ready to go!
- Be sure you are selecting firm mushrooms with a deep cap, firm ridges on the inside and no cracks so the filling doesn’t ooze out while it bakes. They’ll still taste great, just not look perfect!
- Don’t wash mushrooms under running water because they will easily soak up moisture and get soggy. Instead, carefully wipe off any dirt with a damp paper towel or mushroom brush, keeping them as dry as possible. Remove the stems and either chop them up to add to the filling or add them to leftover greens for a flavorful stock!
How Long to Cook Stuffed Mushrooms
The key to cooking these amazing lasagna stuffed mushrooms is to NOT overcook them. Make sure the cheese filling is adequately melted enough to blend everything together and pre-heat the sauce before topping onto the mushrooms.
Keep enough space between them as they are baking so the cheese doesn’t make them stick together.
These little beauties are perfect on their own and not only hold up well on a buffet table but reheat perfectly with a little extra cheese!
To store just place in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. To keep these yummy mushrooms from getting soggy it is not recommended to freeze them. But with something this delicious I doubt you’ll have to worry about that!
Delicious Low Carb Pasta Dishes
- Zucchini Lasagna – easy to make!
- Spaghetti and Meatballs – ready in 30 mins
- Zucchini Ravioli – great freezer meal!
- Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – ultimate comfort food
- Almond Pesto Zucchini Noodles – nutty, cheesy & delicious!
Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 portobello mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups Rao's Pasta Sauce
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup cooked spinach squeezed dry
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash mushrooms, remove stems and discard.
- In a medium saucepan, brown beef. Add pasta sauce and Italian seasoning, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine cheese mixture ingredients in a small bowl. Divide over mushroom caps.
- Divide meat sauce over mushrooms.
- Top with cheese and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and mushrooms are cooked through.