This classic Fried Cabbage With Bacon recipe is our go-to dish when we need a quick low carb side. It's so easy to make and chock full of flavor!
Bacon, cabbage, onions, and seasonings are sauteed until tender and delicious. Serve this dish alongside air fryer chicken breasts for a perfectly balanced low carb dinner.
Fried Cabbage With Bacon
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN it to your SIDES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
If you grew up in an Irish family or any large family, the smell of cooking cabbage is probably etched into your memory! But done right, it's no wonder why cabbage has become such a staple in low carb lifestyles around the world.
What To Do With Cabbage
Cabbage can be prepared in so many ways. It can be baked, steamed, boiled, fried, and even grilled! Its ability to be transformed easily into a tasty, affordable main dish or side dish with little to no hassle, is why this humble vegetable is quickly regaining its popularity!
And today, there are so many new and palate pleasing ways to get everyone in the family to eat cabbage! From bacon wrapped cabbage to this Fried Cabbage With Bacon recipe, the famous keto duo will not soon be forgotten.
Is Cabbage Healthy
A member of the Brassica family, there are only 5 grams of carbs in cabbage per cup, so it’s no wonder cabbage is an all-star on so many lifestyle menus these days.
Cooking cabbage with onion and garlic is a great way to get filled up with fiber for vegan and vegetarian diets.
And this Fried Cabbage With Bacon recipe is a great side dish or entree for those following a paleo or keto way of eating. Served hot or cold, bacon and cabbage are always a great combination!
How To Make Fried Cabbage
A great fried cabbage and bacon recipe is all about cooking the cabbage properly.
- Cook bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and cook until tender.
- Add cabbage. Cover, stir occasionally until soft. Season to taste.
- Choose bacon that is meaty and cook it until crisp!
- Make sure your cabbage is evenly cut so it cooks uniformly.
- Don’t use too much oil or fat or crowd the pan.
- Be sure to add the cabbage last so it soaks up the flavors without getting greasy or soft. You want a little crunch!
- Wondering how long to cook cabbage? It needs to be cooked quickly in a hot pan to avoid overcooking - about 15 minutes.
- This versatile fried cabbage recipe is a cinch to pull together with nearly anything left in the fridge! Bacon? Sure! Sausage? Sure! Bell peppers, onions and garlic? Go for it!
Don’t forget that fried cabbage with bacon tastes great as a cold side salad served with a polish dog for those game day celebrations!
Other Delicious Cabbage Recipes To Try!
- Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole - an easy dinner!
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet - delicious flavor duo.
- Bacon Wrapped Cabbage (keto/low carb) - for bacon lovers.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups cabbage chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish optional
- Cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and set on a paper towel lined plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic to the bacon fat in the pan. Cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add cabbage, cover and cook stirring occasionally until tender, about an 15-20 minutes. Season to taste.