For a super healthy, super filling low carb lunch or dinner, look no further than this easy baked Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
This casserole is so hearty and wholesome, it is an entree that also doubles as an entire meal! It is perfect to bring along to a potluck or when feeding a crowd.
If you want to add a little extra to your cabbage roll casserole entree, you could start your meal with some delicious Low Carb (Keto) Zucchini Fries, Low Carb Jalapeno Poppers (Keto) or keep with the whole cabbage theme and serve some Bacon Wrapped Cabbage (keto/low carb).
What is an Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole?
All the crunchy freshness of cabbage sautéed with onion, garlic, ground beef, and Italian seasonings – unstuffed cabbage casserole is definitely an economical, fiber-filled healthy entrée that won’t break the bank or your waistline!
Ingredients & Variations
One of the greatest things about this recipe is how versatile it is!
- Add fresh or frozen mixed veggies, fresh bell peppers, potatoes or mushrooms.
- Feel free to switch up the proteins. Use ground Italian sausage or even mini meatballs in place of the ground beef. For a totally non-meat version, use tofu or seitan for a protein punch!
- You can use a store-bought low carb pasta sauce or make your own homemade version!
With so many possibilities it is hard not to love this easy casserole!
How to Make Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
This casserole comes together in a few steps.
- Brown beef, onion, and garlic in a skillet. Set aside.
- Add cabbage and cook until tender. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add cauliflower rice, and cook till tender. Add the ground beef and seasoning back to the cauliflower.
- In the casserole dish, scoop pasta sauce onto the bottom, add the beef and cauliflower mixture.
- Top with sauce, then cabbage, and finish with remaining sauce.
Bake about an hour or until cabbage is tender.
How to Freeze
Cabbage roll casserole freezes beautifully! Make sure it is completely chilled before freezing.
- To freeze as an entire casserole, line the casserole dish with aluminum foil before baking. Once completely chilled, it can easily be removed from the pan, wrapped in additional foil and plastic wrap. This saves the casserole dish for another use! Be sure to label with the date prior to placing it in the freezer.
- For individual servings, cut desired portions and wrap in foil and then place in plastic zippered bags with the date on them.
- Frozen unstuffed cabbage roll casserole will last about a month in the freezer. Once thawed, it’s easy to reheat! Simply pop it in the microwave or reheat it in the oven. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper to freshen it up and re-serve!
More Delicious Cabbage Recipes To Try!
- Bacon Wrapped Cabbage (keto/low carb) – perfect side or appetizer
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet – so easy!
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon – a must to try!
- Low Carb Coleslaw – perfect for summer BBQ’s
Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6 cups chopped cabbage about 1/2 head
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 ½ cups low carb pasta sauce
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- Predheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Cook cabbage with 2 tablespoons water in a skillet until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add cauliflower rice to the same skillet and cook until tender.
- Combine cauliflower rice, ground beef and seasoning.
- Place 1 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Add beef and cauliflower mixture.
- Top with 1 cup sauce and cabbage. Add remaining sauce on top.
- Cover and bake 50-60 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Cool 15 minutes before serving.