This Low Carb Cabbage Soup offers a variety of vegetables, spices, and most importantly—flavor!
Besides being a dish with a wide array of ingredients, it is a warm, comforting, and filling soup. Plus it’s so healthy and low carb it could qualify as keto. Adapt it by adding whatever vegetables are on hand, or follow the recipe to the letter. There is no doubt that this recipe makes the best soup!
Low Carb Cabbage Soup
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SOUPS Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- This is the best cabbage soup recipe, made with a base of tomatoes and broth, combined with all kinds of vegetables and spices.
- Clean up leftover veggies from the refrigerator and add them to this soup. It’s easy to adapt to whatever vegetables are on hand!
- Chunky and delicious, it’s a filling dish that needs little to accompany it to make it a meal. But it would taste great with Keto Biscuits, Low Carb Chicken Parmesan, or Keto Air Fryer Chicken.
- Love cabbage? Then give this Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole or these stuffed Easy Low Carb Cabbage Rolls a try.
Cabbage Soup Ingredients
THE VEGETABLES – This recipe is a good one for chefs who like to experiment. Just make sure that the vegetables are chopped into small-sized pieces. Soup should be eaten with a spoon, not a fork and knife!
THE SEASONING – Try any Italian seasoning or make your own. Some Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, and a dash of pepper give this soup a dash of extra flavor.
BROTH – Use a canned, boxed, or homemade beef broth. Or try this homemade turkey broth or even a vegetable broth for a different flavor profile.
- Don’t worry about the color of the cabbage, red or green will do. They are both loaded with Vitamin C and are a great addition to any diet.
- Need a little protein? Add some shredded chicken, ground beef, or diced sausage.
- And for vegetarian diets, replace the beef broth with a vegetable broth. It will still taste great!
How To Make Cabbage Soup
This low carb soup is a comfort just simmering on the stovetop!
- Sauté some of the vegetables (as per the recipe below).
- Add remaining ingredients, except zucchini.
- Bring to boil. Add zucchini.
This soup can also be made in the Crockpot.
- Sauté all the ingredients on the stove.
- Add them to the Crockpot with the rest of the ingredients except for the zucchini.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add the zucchini for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cabbage tastes great when grated. It cooks quicker and incorporates more of the flavor of the broth. For a shredded cabbage soup variant, use a Cuisinart or food processor to make this job easier.
- Sauteing the cabbage along with the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, will soften it and absorb some of the aromatic flavors.
- This soup tastes great with a garnish of chopped fresh herbs, grated peppercorns, or freshly grated parmesan on top.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup
Cabbage soup is the perfect soup for freezing. Freeze it in large family-sized portions or individual portions that can be quickly thawed for lunch the next day. It will keep fresh tasting in the freezer for 4-6 months but is safe to eat beyond that. To reheat, let the soup thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat in a pot on the stove. Individual portions can also be reheated in the microwave.
Low Carb Cabbage Dishes
- Bacon Creamed Cabbage – low carb comfort food!
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet– quick & easy dinner.
- Low Carb Coleslaw – perfect side dish-
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon – chock full of flavor!
- Cabbage Noodles Alfredo – 30 minute recipe.
Low Carb Cabbage Soup
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot sliced or diced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower about 4 cups
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pepper to taste
- 1 small zucchini sliced
- Cook onion and garlic with oil in a large soup pot until tender.
- Add carrot, celery, and cabbage. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except zucchini.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add zucchini and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Low Carb Cabbage Soup recipe!
Can’t wait to dig in!
We hope you love it, Colleen!