Nothing beats a good old-fashioned Pork and Cabbage Skillet when it comes to comfort foods for a cold, wet day. This recipe is chock full of pork (or beef), rice, and tomatoes.
Similar to bacon wrapped cabbage, this recipe combines the amazing flavors of pork and cabbage for an outstanding dish the whole family will love. Serve on its own or next to some roasted radishes for an easy satisfying meal!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Pork and Cabbage Skillet
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
How to Chop Cabbage
Chopping cabbage is very different from chopping lettuce as it has thicker leaves that are denser and more tightly connected to the stem.
Both purple and green cabbage are the same in terms of size and density, and for this recipe they both taste virtually the same.
- Using a sharp knife, place the cabbage stem side down against a cutting board.
- Slice the cabbage in half from top to bottom. Slice each half again to create quarters.
- Cut a ‘vee’ shape around each wedge to separate the stem and core (these pieces can be saved to add to stock or in a soup like this chicken zucchini noodle soup)!
- Holding each wedge, carefully cut the cabbage into one-inch strips. Using your fingers, gently separate the strips.
Now that all the hard work is done you are ready to make ground pork and cabbage skillet!
How to Cook Cabbage in a Skillet
This low carb skillet cabbage recipe is a complete ‘one and done’ which means everything goes into one skillet and you’re left with a filling and satisfying meal with no fuss or muss.
- In a skillet, stir cabbage until just slightly softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and add more broth as needed until the cauliflower rice is fully cooked. Be sure to stir frequently to incorporate all the ingredients and ensure even cooking.
TIP: It’s easy to cook ground pork and cabbage in a skillet, but to get the best results, be sure to keep the skillet hot!
How to Cook Stuffed Cabbage in a Skillet
Basically the same steps are used in making skillet stuffed cabbage rolls, just with a little more patience required.
- Instead of cutting the cabbage in wedges and strips, you just cut the cabbage in half and separate the leaves.
- Gently saute the leaves to soften them up, remove from the skillet, scoop in pork mixture, wrap and return to the skillet. Add the broth mixture and cover and simmer until fully cooked.
This skillet pork and cabbage is the perfect way to save all those extra steps though. Just chop, toss, and cook until done! We love to add a caesar salad to round out this soon-to-be family favorite!
Be sure to make a little extra to freeze for another night when cooking something from scratch seems impossible!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon – Mmmm, bacon!
- Bacon Wrapped Cabbage – keto & low carb
- Low Carb Pork Tenderloin – tender & tasty roast!
- Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto – comfort food
- Roasted Pork Loin – grilled or roasted!
Pork and Cabbage Skillet
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 lb lean ground pork or beef
- 1/3 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 6 cups cabbage chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup low carb tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Brown bacon, beef, and onion in a large frying pan. Drain any grease.
- Stir in cauliflower, cabbage, and heavy cream.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add tomato sauce and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.