Keto cauliflower mac and cheese tastes like the classic comfort food without the carbs!
The secret is in the creamy 4 cheese blend and bite-sized pieces of roasted cauliflower!
This cauliflower mac and cheese keto version is perfect for a quick dinner or a workday lunch!
Cheesy Low Carb Side!
- Kraft has nothing on this quick and easy keto cauliflower mac and cheese recipe and kids love its flavor and gooey cheesiness!
- Healthy mac and cheese can be baked and then kept warm in a Crockpot so it’s perfect for parties and potlucks where everyone can help themselves! Serve a tangy cucumber feta or a cherry tomato salad, or arrange some low-carb veggies on a platter and serve with a tasty dill veggie dip.
- Keep it meat-free or use up leftover proteins like shredded chicken, sliced sausage, mini meatballs, or bacon bits for a meatier dish!
Ingredients and Variations
Cauliflower – A large head of cauliflower will yield the right amount of florets for this recipe. Frozen cauliflower should be thawed and patted dry so the dish doesn’t get mushy. Or use leftover roasted cauliflower!
Cheese Sauce – This dish is really all about the cheese! Cheddar and gruyere are extra robust and melty.
Variations – Use half cauliflower and half broccoli for a colorful, more festive-looking dish. Stir in some spinach, zucchini, or sliced mushrooms for an extra nutrition boost! Spice up the sauce by adding some buffalo or barbecue sauce or stir in a homemade southwest or taco seasoning and make it a new recipe every time!
How to Make Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Roast cauliflower florets (per recipe below).
- Simmer cream, broth, mustard, and onion powders in a large skillet. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix cheeses together and save ½ cup aside for topping.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in 2 ½ cups of cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add cauliflower and pour into a casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake until bubbly and brown on top. Serve hot.
For a crispy topping, sprinkle a layer of keto breadcrumbs over the top before baking.
Tips for Success
- Cauliflower florets can also be boiled or steamed to save time. Pat the cooked pieces dry before using.
- Be sure the cauliflower pieces are in small, bite-sized pieces similar to the size of elbow macaroni or macaroni shells.
- Let the cream cheese come to room temperature so it’s easier to melt into the sauce.
- Save extra cheese sauce and add to zucchini boats with cauliflower rice, or drizzle cheese sauce over roasted veggies.
Keep leftover keto cauliflower mac and cheese in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat portions in the microwave or on the stovetop with a little milk to loosen up the cheese sauce. We do not recommend freezing this dish since the cheese sauce won’t thaw properly.
Have you tried this Keto Cauliflower Mac And Cheese recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 large head cauliflower approx. 6-7 cups
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth not low sodium
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 ¼ cup sharp Cheddar
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ cup gruyere cheese or additional cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Rinse cauliflower and cut into bite sized pieces. Toss with oil and salt & pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet and roast 12-15 minutes or just until tender-crisp.
- While cauliflower is cooking, bring cream, chicken broth, mustard and onion powder to a simmer in a large skillet. Let simmer 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in cream cheese until smooth.
- Combine cheddar, parmesan, and gruyere cheese in a small bowl. Set ½ cup of the cheese mixture aside for topping.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2½ cups of cheese. Whisk until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the cheese sauce and cauliflower together and place into the prepared dish.
- Top with cheese and bake until bubbly and browned on top, about 20 minutes.
- Break cauliflower into small pieces to resemble the size of macaroni.
- Steamed, boiled or roasted cauliflower can also be used. If boiled or steamed, be sure to drain it well to prevent a watery sauce.
- Save any extra sauce to use at a later time.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.