Finally! A Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe that tastes just like the ultimate comfort food classic!
All the creamy, cheesy, and savory flavors found in a regular mac and cheese are cooked into this rich, thick sauce. Then it’s baked together with cauliflower florets for an uber-healthy casserole that is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked cauliflower mac and cheese is the keto answer to the original classic! Now everyone can enjoy a meatless meal that’s gluten-free and tastes just like the original!
- Every home chef needs a tried-and-true mac and cheese recipe! Low carb lovers and vegetarians will appreciate this tasty variation on the comfy classic.
- This recipe is so quick and easy to make and will keep in a Crockpot on the warm setting so that everyone can help themselves.
Ingredients and Variations
Just like the original, cauliflower mac and cheese can be a new recipe every time!
CAULIFLOWER: One large head of cauliflower will yield about 6 to 7 cups of small pieces. Make a broccoli mac and cheese by switching out the cauliflower for broccoli or use equal amounts of both. Frozen cauliflower should be thawed and patted dry before use so it doesn’t get mushy.
SAUCE: A variety of cheeses and a generous helping of cream will give the dish its robust flavor and velvety texture. Stir in a few tablespoons of a spicy sauce like buffalo or barbecue or add some homemade Keto Taco Seasoning for a grown-up mac and cheese!
ADD-INS: Bacon bits, leftover shredded chicken, diced ham, or sliced summer sausage are all good ways to add some protein. Chopped spinach, diced zucchini, and shredded brussel sprouts add a pop of color, flavor, and a boost of nutrition.
How to Make Baked Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Season & roast cauliflower (as directed in the recipe below).
- Simmer cream, chicken broth, mustard and onion powder. Whisk in cream cheese.
- Mix cheeses together, and add half to creamy mixture. Stir and season to taste.
- Add cauliflower and pour into a casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake.
PRO TIP: Cauliflower pieces can also be boiled or steamed. Pat dry to prevent sauce from becoming watery.
Creamy cauliflower mac and cheese is a meal in itself, but also is delicious served with a crisp salad full of healthy fiber and nutrition! Try a tangy Cherry Tomato Salad or a Cucumber Feta Salad. Or arrange some low-carb veggies on a platter and serve with a tasty Dill Veggie Dip.
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature so that it is easier to blend.
- This recipe looks best when the cauliflower pieces are broken into small, equal sizes. Just like the size of elbow macaroni.
- If there is extra cheese sauce, freeze it for another use. Or simply add extra cauliflower, cauliflower rice, or a bag of frozen peas and carrots. (Choose veggies that are cut the same size as the cauliflower pieces).
Other Delish Cauliflower Sides!
- Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole – a flavorful side!
- Bacon Cauliflower Mac and Cheese – another savory mac & cheese dish.
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower – just 10 minute prep.
- Lemon Roasted Cauliflower – zesty lemon flavor.
- Cauliflower Parmesan – side, appetizer or even a main dish!
Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Recipe
- 1 large head cauliflower approx. 6-7 cups
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth not low sodium
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 ¼ cup sharp Cheddar
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ cup gruyere cheese or additional cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Rinse cauliflower and cut into bite sized pieces. Toss with oil and salt & pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet and roast 12-15 minutes or just until tender-crisp.
- While cauliflower is cooking, bring cream, chicken broth, mustard and onion powder to a simmer in a large skillet. Let simmer 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in cream cheese until smooth.
- Combine cheddar, parmesan, and gruyere cheese in a small bowl. Set ½ cup of the cheese mixture aside for topping.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2½ cups of cheese. Whisk until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the cheese sauce and cauliflower together and place into the prepared dish.
- Top with cheese and bake until bubbly and browned on top, about 20 minutes.
- Break cauliflower into small pieces to resemble the size of macaroni.
- Steamed or boiled cauliflower can also be used. Be sure to drain it well to prevent a watery sauce.
- Save any extra sauce to use at a later time.