Nothing says low carb comfort food like this Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole.
Cauliflower is topped with a homemade cheese sauce then baked until golden and delicious! Serve it as a side with your favorite mains like Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Dijon Sauce or enjoy it as an appetizer on its own!
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SIDES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Ways To Serve Cauliflower
Now that cauliflower has become the vegan, vegetarian, paleo and KETO sweetheart of the century, there are dozens and dozens of new ways to prepare this veggie powerhouse. This roasted version is the simplest out there and can be used in so many different ways!
Slice into ‘steaks’ and grill or roast. Or season the entire head, roast, and crumble of bite-sized pieces for a salad or soup topping! Any way you ‘slice’ it, roasting cauliflower is the easy, tasty way to go!
How to Make Cauliflower Casserole
- Prep cauliflower and boil until just tender (see recipe below).
- Top with cheese sauce.
- Bake until golden and delicious!
Try serving this cauliflower cheese casserole over baked chicken breasts for a fancy presentation.
How to Make Easy Cheese Sauce
The sauce for this cauliflower gratin recipe is so easy to whip up, it’ll be on the menu for ALL the vegetables! And the prep is super easy too.
- Melt all sauce ingredients together.
- Keep stirring over low heat until everything’s incorporated.
Try this cheese sauce over zucchini, broccoli, brussel sprouts, or any other keto veggies you happen to have on hand. You’ll definitely find a new family favorite with added veggies and no complaints!
A creamy cauliflower casserole must start with a perfectly creamy cheese sauce! Here are a few tips to get that smooth cheesy texture.
- The best way to avoid a grainy cheese sauce is to use full-fat cheese and cream.
- Mix a little cornstarch with the grated cheese to help it stay smooth and elastic while it melts.
- If the sauce gets grainy, simply lower the heat, add a little more cream and continue to mix until the grainy texture melts away!
This cauliflower gratin recipe lends itself to a variety of flavors so don’t be afraid to experiment! Try adding hot sauce, dijon mustard, or even mix-ins like chopped sundried tomatoes, black olives or herbs like tarragon or basil.
It’s impossible to run out of great ideas for this versatile recipe! Winning!
Must-Try Cauliflower Recipes
- Mashed Cauliflower – perfect for the holidays!
- Cauliflower Fried Rice – ready in 20 mins!
- Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust – perfectly crispy crust
- Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto – fun twist on a classic!
- Cauliflower “Potato” Salad – great potluck dish
Low Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Boil 4-5 minutes or until tender crisp. Place in a strainer and drain very well.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese and butter to a saucepan and stir over medium heat until smooth and cream cheese is melted.
- Add seasonings, bring to a boil and let boil 2 minutes while whisking.
- Remove from heat, stir in parmesan and 1 ¼ cups cheddar cheese.
- Place in a 9x9 baking pan and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Delicious Side Dish
Will the cheese sauce last in the fridge if made ahead to use on vegetables throughout the week?
Hi Roberta, this cheese sauce should last 3-4 days in the fridge. Just be sure to store in an airtight container and reheat only the portion you intend to use. Enjoy!
Carb Manager puts this at 5 net carbs, but it is delicious!
Thank you for sharing Scott! We always recommend calculating it with the ingredients/brands you used, as nutrition can change based on that information!
Creamy sauce. Great recipe. I will definitely make again.
So glad you love the casserole Paula!
I do not like mustard even mustard Powder. Will it make a big difference if I omit this do I need to add anything else in place?
Omitting the mustard powder won’t make a huge difference but if you would like to substitute it Tumeric will give you the same flavor profile without the mustard taste!