Nothing says low carb comfort food like this Cauliflower Casserole. Cauliflower is topped with a homemade cheese sauce then baked until golden and delicious!
It’s such an easy snack that even the kids will not be able to get enough of it! Serve it as a side with your favorite mains like Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Dijon Sauce or enjoy it as an appetizer on its own!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Way to Serve Cauliflower
Now that cauliflower has become the vegan, vegetarian, paleo and KETO sweetheart of the century, there are dozens and dozens of new ways to prepare this veggie powerhouse. This roasted version is the simplest out there and can be used in so many different ways!
Slice into ‘steaks’ and roast, or season and roast the entire head and crumble of bite-sized pieces for a salad or soup topping! Any way you ‘slice’ it, roasting cauliflower is the easy, tasty way to go!
How to Make Cauliflower Casserole
There’s no doubt that cauliflower can stand alone in any variety of preparations. But roasting cauliflower caramelizes the outside while keeping inside smooth and creamy!
- Prep cauliflower and boil until tender (see recipe below).
- Top with cheese sauce.
- Bake until golden and delicious!
Try serving cauliflower in cheese sauce over baked chicken breasts for a fancy presentation. Try the cauliflower cheese sauce over zucchini, broccoli, brussel sprouts, or any other keto veggies you happen to have on hand. You’ll definitely find a new family favorite with added veggies and no complaints!
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese Sauce
This quick cheese sauce for cauliflower gratin is so easy to whip up, it’ll be on the menu for ALL the vegetables! The prep is super easy too.
- Melt all ingredients together on low heat.
- Keep stirring until everything’s incorporated.
Make sure the heat is kept on low. If the element temperature is too high, you will wind up with a grainy or split cheese sauce!
How to Fix a Grainy Cheese Sauce
The perfect cheese sauce is a creamy smooth sauce, here are a few tips to get that smooth cheesy texture.
- The best way to avoid a grainy cheese sauce is to use full-fat cheese and cream.
- Grating cheese and mixing with a little cornstarch will keep it from overcooking and help it stay smooth and elastic while it melts.
- If the sauce gets grainy, simply lower the heat, add a little more cream and continue to mix until the grainy texture melts away!
Cauliflower with cheese sauce lends itself to a variety of flavors. Don’t be afraid to add hot sauce, dijon mustard, or even mix-ins like chopped sundried tomatoes, black olives or herbs like tarragon or basil. As versatile as this recipe is, it’ll be impossible to run out of great ideas! Winning!
Must-Try Cauliflower Recipe
- Mashed Cauliflower – perfect for the holidays!
- Cauliflower Fried Rice – ready in 20 mins!
- Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust – perfectly crispy crust
- Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto – fun twist on a classic!
- Cauliflower “Potato” Salad – great potluck dish
Easy Low Carb Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Boil 4-5 minutes or until tender crisp. Place in a strainer and drain very well.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese and butter to a saucepan and stir over medium heat until smooth and cream cheese is melted.
- Add seasonings, bring to a boil and let boil 2 minutes while whisking.
- Remove from heat, stir in parmesan and 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese.
- Place in a 9x9 baking pan and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden.