Pesto Chicken is a fun way to bake chicken thighs or breasts. Chicken is topped with pesto, tomatoes, and mozzarella, then baked until golden brown & bubbly.
With or without a side of zoodles, this baked chicken makes a great recipe for a busy weeknight or a social gathering.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What Pesto is the Best?
Pre-packaged pestos are easy to find.
For the best flavor look for a pesto sauce that has basil as the first ingredient since ingredient lists always place items from the most to the least.
How to Make Pesto Chicken
Chicken Pesto is quick and easy to prep with less than 3 steps.
- Toss the chicken with the prepared pesto sauce and place in the casserole dish.
- Bake and top with tomatoes and mozzarella before broiling until bubbly & melted.
Remove from the oven, garnish and serve. It’s that simple!
The Best Garnish
Large, fresh basil leaves make a dramatic garnish over this colorful dish, but you can also stack basil leaves on top of one another.
- Roll up from the wide end to the tips.
- Then slice thinly with a sharp knife.
This creates basil ‘ribbons’ and is called ‘chiffonade.’ Spread basil chiffonade over the melted cheese and serve!
How Long Do I Bake It?
Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
Place the thermometer in the thickest part of the breast or thighs to determine the temperature.
What to Serve With It?
A side of pasta makes a great foundation, but don’t hesitate to serve sliced pesto chicken over a bed of cauliflower fried rice or even lettuce for a protein salad entrée!
Spinach sautéed in garlic is a flavorful side dish to serve with it!
Easy Low Carb Pesto Chicken
- 4 chicken breast halves 5-6 oz each
- ½ cup pesto
- 2 Roma tomatoes 1/2" slices
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss chicken with pesto and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Top chicken with tomato slices and cheese. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Chicken for Dinner
- Baked Bone In Chicken Breast – only 3 ingredients!
- Easy Low Carb Chicken Parmesan – deliciously decadent dish
- Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry! – 30 min meal!
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu – tender & juicy
- Roasted Chicken Breast – my ultimate go-to recipe!