Pesto Chicken is a fun way to bake chicken thighs or breasts. Chicken is topped with pesto, tomatoes, and mozzarella, then baked until golden brown & bubbly.
With or without a side of zoodles (even though this sauce is great on pasta), this baked chicken makes a great recipe for a busy weeknight or a social gathering.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What Pesto is the Best?
Pre-packaged pestos are easy to find. Look for a pesto sauce that has basil as the first ingredient since ingredient lists always place items from the most to the least. So, basil is the primary ingredient to look for.
Let’s Make Some Pesto Chicken
Chicken Pesto is quick and easy to prep with just 3 simple steps.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a shallow baking dish.
- Toss the chicken with the prepared pesto sauce and place in the casserole dish.
- Bake and top with tomatoes and mozzarella before broiling until bubbly & melted.
How Long Do I Bake It?
Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165°F. Place the thermometer in the thickest part of the breast or thighs to determine the temperature.
Top baked pesto chicken with the tomato slices and mozzarella cheese. Place under the broiler set at high and broil until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
Large, fresh basil leaves make a dramatic garnish over this colorful dish, but you can also stack basil leaves on top of one another. Roll up from the wide end to the tips and then slice thinly with a sharp knife. This creates basil ‘ribbons’ and is called ‘chiffonade.’ Spread basil chiffonade over the melted cheese and serve!
Here’s What to Serve with Pesto Chicken
A side of pasta makes a great foundation, but don’t hesitate to serve sliced pesto chicken over a bed of cauliflower fried rice or even lettuce for a protein salad entrée! Spinach sauteed in garlic is a flavorful side dish to serve with it!
Chicken for Dinner
- Baked Bone In Chicken Breast – only 3 ingredients!
- Easy Low Carb Chicken Parmesan – deliciously decadent dish
- Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry! – 30 min meal!
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu – tender & juicy
- Roasted Chicken Breast – my ultimate go-to recipe!
Pesto Chicken is a fun way to bake chicken thighs or breasts. They are topped with pesto, tomatoes, and mozzarella, then baked until lightly golden brown and bubbly.
- 4 chicken breast halves 5-6 oz each
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 Roma tomatoes 1/2" slices
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss chicken with pesto and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Top chicken with tomato slices and cheese. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.