This Easy Low Carb Spaghetti and Meatballs will keep you satisfied at the table and the pool! Who says hearty Italian fare has to be carb-heavy? Just like Zucchini Lasagna, using zoodles as low carb spaghetti noodles, you can eat Italian every night of the week!
For meal prep, making zucchini noodles is a snap! Not only can you find fresh pre-packaged zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) in the produce section of most supermarkets, but there are dozens of inexpensive and easy to use gadgets you can buy to make spaghetti zoodles at home! Now you know what to do with that summer bounty of zucchini, right?
© Easy Low Carb.com
Easy Low Carb Spaghetti & Meatballs
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Is Spaghetti Sauce Low Carb?
Traditionally, spaghetti sauce is made with tomatoes, which aren’t exactly low carb in large amounts. You can buy low carb spaghetti sauce that has fewer carbs and almost zero sugar (unless it’s naturally occurring in the tomatoes). It’s mostly made with tomato paste where the skins are removed then extra garlic and other seasonings are added.
If you are making your own easy low carb meat sauce, you can always add pureed cauliflower or a little extra olive oil instead of ground beef, to fill create more volume and keep it low carb.
How to Make Low Carb Spaghetti
Prepare this keto spaghetti and meatballs in two steps. First making meatballs and popping those in the oven then starting on the zucchini noodles!
To Make Meatballs:
- Combine all meatball ingredients together in a medium bowl until just mixed.
- Divide the mixture into 24 evenly sized meatballs.
- Place on a parchment lined or greased baking dish and bake until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
To Make Zoodles:
- Wash zucchini and cut off a ½ inch on each end. Run through the spiralizer into desired shape and amount.
- Heat a saute pan with olive oil and garlic powder. Saute zoodles about 3 to 5 minutes until slightly softened. Do not overcook the zoodles or they will get soft and mushy!
Serve immediately, heat low carb spaghetti sauce and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Top over zoodles like regular spaghetti noodles and add a few meatballs. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Save for later, simply put cooked zoodles and baked meatballs with a few dollops of spaghetti sauce in a container with a tightly fitting lid and refrigerate. Keeps up to 4 days in the fridge and up to 4 months in the freezer (be sure to date and label)!
Reheat from frozen, microwave 3 to 4 minutes uncovered or until fully cooked. Adjust seasonings and serve!
What to Serve with Spaghetti and Meatballs
Don’t ruin your healthy eating plan by serving your low carb spaghetti with garlic bread! Fresh cut veggies like broccoli and cauliflower with some dill dip taste great alongside zoodles spaghetti and meatballs. Even a simple salad of marinated cucumbers or even a low carb Ceaser salad is a great option that keeps the carbs at bay!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Zucchini Pizza Bites – kid approved!
- Low Carb (Keto) Zucchini Fries – ready in 30 min!
- Italian Stuffed Burgers – filled with a cheesy prosciutto filling
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup (Zoodle) – perfect comfort dish
- Easy Low Carb Chicken Parmesan – great served over a bed of zoodles!
Serve up a bed of zucchini noodles topped with flavor-packed meatballs and a low carb pasta sauce!
- 3 cups low carb pasta sauce
- 2 zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon onion minced
- 2 Tablespoons almond flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a medium bowl, just until mixed.
- Divide mixture into 24 small meatballs.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 14-16 minutes or until cooked through.
Meanwhile, wash zucchini and remove the ends. Place the zucchini on the spiralizer and spiralize into desired shape.
- Place zucchini in a pan and toss with olive oil and garlic powder. Cook 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened (do not over cook).
- Place zucchini and meatballs in a container. Top with pasta sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Refrigerate 3-4 days or freeze up to 4 months.
To reheat from frozen, microwave 3-4 minutes uncovered or until heated through. Allow to rest 2 minutes.