Creamy Tomato Casserole will have everyone at the table asking for seconds! A juicy bed of ricotta style cheesy cauliflower is layered with rich and meaty tomato sauce, then baked with melted mozzarella on top.
This casserole reminds me of southern style stewed tomato casserole, except it uses cauliflower rice instead of bread or crackers.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Creamy Tomato Casserole
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What’s In Tomato Casserole?
- Cauliflower Rice - When it comes to living a low carb lifestyle, cauliflower rice is where it’s at for replacing starches, because of its high nutrient profile and unmatched flavor.
- Ground Beef - Without ground beef, meat sauce is never quite the same. But you could definitely mix in some ground pork for extra flavor. Or, try switching it up with ground turkey or chopped chicken!
- Mushrooms - These are optional, but definitely add something special.
- Tomato Sauce - It really goes without saying that a tomato casserole would have tomato sauce!
Let’s Make It!
Assembling this tomato casserole is a breeze, in no time you'll have dinner in the oven.
- Cook the meat and mix with the sauce ingredients (per recipe below).
- Mix cauliflower rice with cottage cheese, herbs, and parmesan.
- Layer, top with cheese and bake until piping hot and bubbly!
Serve and savor!
What To Serve With Creamy Tomato Casserole
Or why not serve a simple Caesar Salad on the side? A glass of red will make this meal even more special.
Storing The Leftovers
Cooked meat dishes shouldn’t be left out at room temperature for more than two hours, so put it away after eating.
- Refrigerate: This casserole will last up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge and will probably taste even better the second day!
- Freeze: Tightly cover in an airtight container before freezing. It will last for up to 2 to 3 months.
Creamy Tomato Casserole is perfect for weekends, or as a make-ahead meal for weeknights or lunches! Let's eat!
Other Delicious Low Carb Casseroles To Try!
- Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole - zesty and delicious!
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups - a low carb twist on a classic.
- Easy Low Carb Shepherd's Pie - delicious cauliflower replaces potatoes!
- Zucchini Lasagna - Easy and so filling!
- Spinach Cheese Egg Bake - perfect any time of day.
Low Carb Creamy Tomato Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef or chicken
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can mushrooms drained, optional
- 15 oz tomato sauce low carb
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cauliflower rice cooked and squeezed dry
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Stir in drained mushrooms, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Blend cottage cheese and egg until smooth. Stir in parsley, parmesan and basil.
- Combine cottage cheese mixture and cauliflower rice. Spread into the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with meat sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before serving.