This quick and easy Italian Sausage And Peppers recipe is a low-carb lover’s dream dinner!
Savory Italian sausage is cooked with sweet bell peppers and onions in a lightly seasoned tomato sauce. This one-skillet meal is a simple way to turn that Italian sausage into a hearty, healthy and delicious meal. Have this dinner ready in only about 30 minutes!
Italian Sausage and Peppers
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Easy Skillet Recipe!
- Make Italian sausage peppers and onions as a quick and easy weeknight meal that’s prepared in one skillet for easy clean-up!
- Serve this recipe on its own or bulk it up over low-carb zucchini pasta noodles. Add a crispy cherry tomato salad or a cucumber feta salad for a delicious side dish.
- Meal prep and serve all week for dinner and for energizing workday lunches. Or make it for a crowd and serve with low-carb wraps or cloud bread.
Ingredients And Variations
SAUSAGE: Italian sausage has savory seasonings like fennel, oregano, and red pepper flakes. However, other flavored sausages like honey garlic would also work.
VEGETABLES: Red, green, and yellow bells make this dish as delicious as it is colorful. Bulk it up by adding other low-carb veggies like onions, mushrooms, zucchini, or black olives.
SAUCE: Choose sugar-free and low-sodium cans of tomatoes. To save time, use a jar of low-sugar marinara (Rao’s is a popular low-carb brand).
How To Make Sausage and Peppers
This one-skillet meal will keep the dinner crowd full and happy.
- Cook sliced sausages until browned. Set aside.
- Sauté peppers and onion.
- Add sausages back to the pan.
- Stir in tomatoes, sauce, and seasoning.
- Cook until heated through (as per the recipe below).
- Garnish with parmesan cheese or crumbled feta, if desired.
Keep leftover sausage and peppers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze in zippered bags for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop by heating the sausages first and then adding the peppers. Or serve leftovers cold on top of a bed of greens. Dice up leftovers and add to an oven-baked quiche, a brunch casserole, or to a hearty keto soup.
Tips For Success
Cut bell peppers into equal-sized strips so they cook equally. When slicing the sausages, keep the casings intact so they stay juicier.
Pork sausage should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Sausages with chicken or turkey should be cooked to 165°F.
Delish Skillet Dinner Ideas!
- Fried Cabbage and Sausage – 30 minute meal!
- Easy Shrimp Vegetable Skillet – so flavorful.
- Easy Stir Fry Chicken and Vegetables – just 5 minutes prep.
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – easy and delicious.
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Skillet – ready in just over 30 minutes.
Italian Sausage And Peppers
- 4 links Italian sausages sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with liquid
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Heat oil and cook sausages over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Set aside.
- Add peppers and onion to the pan and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and sausage.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 6-7 minutes or until heated and cooked through.
- Slice bell peppers and sausage into equal-sized pieces so they cook equally.
- Keep the casings on the sausages so they stay juicier.
- Bring sausage to an internal temperature of 165˚F for safe consumption.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 1 week and freeze in zippered bags for up to 3 months.
- Reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe!