Make dinner quickly and easily with this cheesy Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms recipe.
This chicken and mushroom recipe is made in just one pan with lean chicken breasts, topped with a creamy mushroom sauce and a cheesy blend of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. This is baked until the chicken is tender and juicy, and the cheesy topping becomes melted and golden brown. It’s a mouthwatering low carb meal that really satisfies.
Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN COURSE Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Skillet Fried Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- Skillet fried chicken is so easy to make, but the best part is that it only requires one pot! Using an oven-proof skillet like a cast iron or a stainless steel pan makes for easy clean-up.
- Because the chicken is fried in a skillet, it has a crispy and delicious exterior. Mmm, delicious.
- This recipe needs just 15 minutes to prep and only 30 minutes cook time. Add a crisp salad or homemade zoodles and dinner will be hot and ready in under and hour.
Low Carb Ingredient List
CHICKEN: Choose lean boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. If the breasts are very thick, slice them in half lengthwise. Pound chicken with a meat mallet for a deliciously tender portion.
THE SAUCE: The sauce in this recipe calls for mushrooms that are pan fried in soy sauce, thyme, and butter. Heavy cream is added to the seasoned mushrooms creating a thick, rich sauce that is absolutely delicious.
CHEESE: Shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese are the preferred types of cheese for this recipe.
Additions or Substitutions
- Boneless and skinless chicken thighs would be a great substitute for this recipe.
- Sub a can of creamy mushroom soup in place of the heavy cream, just add it at the same time as the cream would have been added in the instructions.
- Drained, canned mushrooms will work in a pinch if no fresh mushrooms are available.
- Monteray jack, marble or even provolone cheese would all make delicious cheesy toppings.
- Minced garlic can be used instead of garlic powder. Simply add four cloves minced garlic to the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute before removing from the pan.
Let’s Make It!
- Pound & season chicken.
- Cook mushrooms and remove. Brown chicken.
- Add cream to reserved mushrooms, then place on top of chicken.
- Top chicken and mushrooms with cheese.
- Bake (as per the recipe below).
How to cook chicken in a skillet: Cooking chicken in a skillet makes what is called fond. These tasty little bits of meat and meat juices add a deeper flavor to a meal, so don’t discard them. In one pot meals like this skillet recipe, the fond remains in the pot. The chicken is fried before the cream and mushrooms are poured over it, and it is topped with cheese, but most of the cooking will be done in the oven. An important detail to remember is that the pan must be oven-proof if the meal is to be transferred from the stove to the oven.
Batch cook skillet chicken and separate into containers for quick and easy dinners during the week.
Freeze portions and place in zippered freezer bags with the date labeled on them for about 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, then reheat covered in the oven for 15-20 minutes until warmed through.
Another option is to prep all the ingredients ahead of time – the sauce with mushrooms, shred the cheese, and pound the chicken. Refrigerate everything in separate containers and then quickly assemble and cook when ready.
One Skillet Chicken Recipes
- Melt In Your Mouth Chicken Recipe – tender and juicy!
- Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice – a complete dinner.
- Garlic Butter Chicken Bites – an easy entree or appetizer.
- Turkey Breast Cutlets with Dijon Sauce – 30 minute entree.
- Creamy Dijon Chicken Breasts – so flavorful.
Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- salt & black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 ounce mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1" thickness and cut in half, creating 4 smaller breasts.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium oven proof skillet. Toss mushrooms with soy sauce and thyme add to the pan. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to hot pan. Brown chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Stir cream into reserved mushrooms and place on top of chicken. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, then place in oven.
- Bake 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165°F) and cheese is melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.