Everyone will love this easy, keto sausage egg casserole!
Loaded with protein-packed sausage, eggs, cheddar, and cottage cheese, it’s totally delicious and super easy to prepare.
Serve it for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or a light low-carb dinner!
A Delish Low-Carb Breakfast!
- Hearty & satisfying! This sausage egg and cheese casserole has all the healthy, wholesome meats, veggies, and cheeses, but has room for your favorite add-ins!
- Perfect leftovers! Make this recipe a day ahead and serve all week long, hot or cold! The flavors will continue to develop overnight and it will taste even better.
- Easy prep! Save time and use precooked sausages or pre-cooked bacon. Frozen peppers, onions, and spinach make prep a cinch!
Ingredients and Variations
Eggs – Use fresh whole eggs, liquid eggs in a carton, or a carton of liquid egg whites, if desired.
Vegetables – Use the veggies in this recipe or toss in other keto faves like sliced zucchini, finely chopped broccoli, tomatoes, or chopped kale.
Variations – Go meatless and place a layer of cauliflower rice or tofu on the bottom. As long as the ingredients are roughly the same size, any low-carb add-ins will work (perfect for using up leftover meats and veggies to save some bucks)!
How to Make Sausage Egg Casserole
- Cook sausage and onion in a pan. Add peppers, spinach, and mushrooms and cook until tender (as described in the recipe card, below).
- Whisk eggs with cottage cheese and seasonings.
- Spread meat and veggie mixture in a prepared pan and pour over whisked eggs.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake until set and the cheese is golden brown. Top portions with a dollop of sour cream, a scoop of salsa, or avocado dip.
Tips for Success!
- Small curd cottage cheese helps everything stick together and makes the casserole fluffy.
- Be sure to break up the sausage so it’s in fine pieces while it’s cooking so the bottom of the casserole is more firm.
- For best results, let the casserole rest before cutting so it firms up.
- Keep sausage casserole covered in the refrigerator until it’s ready to serve again for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply pop it in the microwave, and add a little salt and pepper or other favorite seasonings!
More Breakfast Recipes To Try
Did you make this Sausage Egg Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
Sausage Egg Casserole
- 1 pound ground sausage
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper red or green, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach packed and chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms chopped
- 12 eggs beaten
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown sausage and onion in a medium pan until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add bell pepper, spinach and mushrooms. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until foamy. Stir in cottage cheese and seasonings.
- Spread sausage mixture in the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan. Pour egg mixture overtop.
- Sprinkle cheese over the casserole and bake 45-55 minutes or until set. Rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- For a fluffier casserole, use small curd cottage cheese.
- Break the sausage up into fine pieces while it’s frying, so it will create a firm, even layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.