Busy weekdays and lazy weekends call for this easy, cheesy, Sausage Egg Casserole.
Delicious egg based dishes like Spinach Cheese Egg Bake or Bacon Egg Muffins are perfect for people following a low carb or keto way of eating. So this sausage egg casserole recipe is one you will definitely want to keep close at hand.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Sausage Egg Casserole
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Best Breakfast Casserole
We love this casserole because it’s super easy to make, hearty and so filling! And it’s the perfect take-along dish for a breakfast potluck or brunch gathering with friends.
Going camping? Make this casserole ahead of time and keep it tightly wrapped in foil in the cooler. When it’s ready to serve, just cut into serving sizes and warm on the campfire grate!
Ingredients & Variations
Nearly anything goes great in this casserole!
VEGGIES Add mixed veggies for color and an extra pop of nutrition, or go for peppers and onions, Denver omelette style! Make a Mexican-style breakfast casserole with sliced black olives, tomatoes and salsa. Add a dollop of sour cream or avocado dip on top!
MEAT: No sausage? No problem! Ground beef or evenly finely diced chicken or turkey will work, too! Or add in crumbled bacon instead!
GO MEATLESS: For a meatless version, try placing a layer of seasoned cauliflower hash browns on the bottom of the casserole dish and then finish the recipe as directed! Or cook up some sausage substitute! Most egg-based dishes are really versatile, as long as the add-ins are roughly the same size as the other ingredients.
How to Make Sausage Egg Casserole
This egg casserole comes together in just a few easy steps.
- Cook sausage and veggies according to recipe.
- Whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, and seasonings.
- Spread meat mixture in the bottom of a prepared pan and pour the egg mixture on top.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on the top and bake!
Tips for Success
- For best results, break up the meat into smaller pieces while it’s being cooked. This will make the bottom of the casserole more firm.
- Cottage cheese is an important component, and using small curd instead of large curd will help everything stick together better.
- Let the casserole rest after it comes out of the oven because this will give it time to firm up so it’s easier to cut!
Storing Sausage Casserole
Keep sausage casserole covered in the refrigerator until it’s ready to serve again for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply pop it in the microwave, add a little salt and pepper or other favorite seasonings!
More Recipes To Try
- Oven Fried Bacon – easy clean up!
- Bacon Egg Muffins (Keto) – perfect quick breakfast.
- Spinach Cheese Egg Bake – weekend brunch recipe.
- Crustless Ham and Cheese Quiche (Keto) – delicious, even for dinner!
- Cheesy Chorizo Frittata – quick and easy!
Sausage Egg Casserole
- 1 pound ground sausage
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper red or green, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach packed and chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms chopped
- 12 eggs beaten
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown sausage and onion in a medium pan until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add bell pepper, spinach and mushrooms. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until foamy. Stir in cottage cheese and seasonings.
- Spread sausage mixture in the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan. Pour egg mixture overtop.
- Sprinkle cheese over the casserole and bake 45-55 minutes or until set. Rest 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Can I use egg whites with this recipe? My cholesterol is pretty high so all the eggs are going to raise my cholesterol!
Yes, egg whites work well in this recipe.
I love this casserole. Simple tasty one dish meal
So happy you loved it, Josephine!