This keto-friendly recipe for creamed spinach goes with everything!
And with just a handful of ingredients, it is quick and easy to make. This side dish is tasty and uber-versatile with its lightly seasoned cream sauce.
Easy Side Dish!
- Simple, and healthy, easy creamed spinach is not only a delicious side dish to make, but it can also be made in advance and reheated as needed for so many recipes!
- The perfect base for a keto-friendly dip, add some artichoke hearts, bacon bits, and parmesan cheese and turn it into a hot or cold dip served in a casserole dish!
- Serve with low-carb veggies like celery sticks, radishes, zucchini fries or rounds, bell pepper strips, or keto crackers!
Ingredients and Variations
Spinach – When using frozen spinach, be sure it’s thawed and drained. If choosing fresh spinach, look for fresh leaves that aren’t damp or discolored, and always remove the stems (they can be added to soup later!). Canned spinach will do in a pinch, but won’t be nearly as flavorful as fresh or frozen.
Seasonings – It only takes a little garlic and onion powder to marry all the flavors in this recipe. A pinch of nutmeg always brightens dishes that are heavy in dairy. Try this simple garlic herb seasoning or add some parmesan cheese.
Extras – Bulk up the nutritional content by tossing in some finely chopped kale or some shredded zucchini.
How to Make Creamed Spinach
- Thaw frozen spinach, drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Simmer remaining ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a skillet until thickened.
- Add spinach to the skillet and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Creamed spinach makes a delicious spread using assorted cold cuts and a slice or two of cloud bread, or a low-carb wrap! Spread some into chicken cordon bleu, or bake it over salmon.
Tips for Success!
- Make sure the spinach is squeezed dry so the dish isn’t watery.
- For an extra creamy dish, stir in some cream cheese while the sauce is cooking.
- Keep leftover creamed spinach in a covered container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator and reheat leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Add leftovers to a creamy mushroom soup, or make low-carb stuffed mushrooms.
Easy Creamed Spinach
- 10 ounces frozen spinach or 1 pound fresh spinach*
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Thaw frozen spinach overnight in the fridge or in the microwave on high power for 2-3 minutes.
- Thoroughly squeeze spinach dry and set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet, combine cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutmeg. Simmer over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in spinach and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- *If using fresh spinach, add it to a 10-inch non stick skillet with 1 tablespoon of water. Cook over medium heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and chop.
- For an extra creamy side, mix in some cream cheese while the sauce is cooking.
- Keep leftover creamed spinach in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.