This easy to make, low carb Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe tastes smooth and rich with the addition of pureed cauliflower.
Homemade cream of mushroom soup is quick, simple and delicious! Not even the kids will know how low carb and healthy it is! Try it for a hot and satisfying lunch or dinner, or add it to your favorite low carb recipes!
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SOUPS board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Homemade Mushroom Soup
- This cream of mushroom soup recipe is so versatile! It is the perfect, low carb replacement to use for beef stroganoff, chicken and rice casserole, and over pork chops.
- One pot is all it takes to make this savory and elegant soup. It’s perfect for a light lunch with a tangy side Cucumber Feta Salad, or as a filling chilly weather soup along with Oven Roasted Radishes or Roasted Keto Asparagus.
- Homemade mushroom soup is lower in salt, has fewer calories than the processed version, and still tastes delicious! Make extra and freeze for future recipes.
- Add homemade mushroom soup to Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto or a Low Carb Beef Soup with Radishes.
Low Carb Ingredients!
Cauliflower is a carb-lovers dream! Because of its mild flavor, it is truly a multi-purpose veggie. Cream cheese and chicken broth give the soup a velvety texture and a little bit of garlic and thyme give it a savory flavor. Mushrooms are a mild-flavored vegetable that give this homemade mushroom soup a delicious taste and wonderful texture. Feel free to mix and match different varieties, like thin-sliced portobellos, or baby Bellas for a more exotic-looking recipe.
How To Make Mushroom Soup
Make this simmering hot mushroom soup at home!
- Sauté mushrooms in butter and add garlic. Set aside a few mushrooms for garnish.
- Add cauliflower, thyme, and chicken broth. Simmer.
- Stir in cream cheese.
- Blend soup with a blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. (As per recipe below)
- Serve with a drizzle of heavy cream and reserved mushrooms.
PRO TIP: For an extra elegant garnish, sprinkle the soup with finely diced red bell peppers.
What To Do with Leftovers
Keep leftover homemade mushroom soup in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers on the stove before serving. Alternately, freeze leftover mushroom soup in an ice cube tray and store cubes in a zippered bag. Pop one or two out to add flavor to sauces, stir-fries or blend into cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Tips For the Best Soup!
Let the cream cheese come to room temperature before stirring into the soup so it blends quickly and easily.
Cut cauliflower pieces into small, uniform sizes so that they cook quicker and are easier to blend.
For a thicker soup, stir in a little heavy whipping cream. Or if a thin consistency is desired, stir in a little milk.
More Simmering Soups
- Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup – cheesy and delicious.
- Italian Sausage Soup – a hearty soup!
- Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup – simple and filling.
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup (Zoodle) – healthy and low carb!
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cauliflower
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces cream cheese diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove and set aside ¼ cup mushrooms for garnish.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in cauliflower, thyme and chicken broth. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Add cream cheese and simmer 1 minute more.
- Blend soup with a hand mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls, top with a drizzle of heavy cream (if desired) and reserved mushrooms.