This easy to make, low carb Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup tastes smooth and rich with the addition of pureed cauliflower.
This cream of mushroom soup recipe is quick, simple and delicious! Not even the kids will know how low carb and healthy it is! Try it for a hot and satisfying lunch or dinner, or add it to your favorite low carb recipes!
Homemade Mushroom Soup
- From scratch homemade mushroom soup has never been easier and is so versatile! It is the perfect, low carb replacement to use for beef stroganoff, chicken and rice casserole, and over pork chops.
- One pot is all it takes to make this savory and elegant soup. It’s perfect for a light lunch with a tangy side cucumber feta salad, or as a filling chilly weather soup along with oven roasted radishes or roasted asparagus.
- This cream of mushroom soup recipe is lower in salt, has fewer calories than the processed version, and still tastes delicious! Make extra and freeze for future recipes.
Low Carb Ingredients!
MUSHROOMS: Mushrooms are a mild-flavored vegetable that give this homemade mushroom soup a delicious taste and wonderful texture. Feel free to mix and match different varieties, like thin-sliced portobellos, button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or baby Bellas.
CAULIFLOWER: Cauliflower is a carb-lovers dream! Because of its mild flavor, it is truly a multi-purpose veggie.
FLAVOR: Cream cheese and chicken stock give the soup a velvety texture and a little bit of garlic and fresh thyme give it a savory flavor.
How To Make Mushroom Soup
Make this simmering hot mushroom soup at home!
- Saute mushrooms in butter and add garlic in a large pot. Set aside a few mushrooms for garnish.
- Add cauliflower, thyme, and chicken broth. Simmer.
- Whisk in cream cheese.
- Puree soup mixture with a blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. (As per recipe below)
- Serve with a drizzle of heavy cream and reserved mushrooms.
PRO TIP: For an extra elegant garnish, sprinkle the soup with finely diced red bell peppers.
Tips For the Best Soup!
Let the cream cheese come to room temperature before stirring into the soup so it blends quickly and easily.
Cut cauliflower pieces into small, uniform sizes so that they cook quicker and are easier to blend.
For a thicker soup, stir in a little heavy whipping cream. Or if a thin consistency is desired, stir in a little milk.
What To Do with Leftovers
Keep leftover homemade mushroom soup in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers on the stove before serving. Alternately, freeze leftover mushroom soup in an ice cube tray and store cubes in a zippered bag. Pop one or two out to add flavor to sauces, stir-fries or blend into cauliflower mashed potatoes.
More Simmering Soups
- Hearty Soup Recipes – so many soups in one spot!
- Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup – cheesy and delicious.
- Italian Sausage Soup – a hearty soup!
- Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup – simple and filling.
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup (Zoodle) – healthy and low carb!
- Creamy Sausage Spinach Soup – delicious!
- Keto Minestrone Soup – so easy to make.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cauliflower
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 ounces cream cheese diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove and set aside ¼ cup mushrooms for garnish.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, cauliflower, and thyme. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Add cream cheese and simmer 1 minute more.
- Blend soup with a hand mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls, top with a drizzle of heavy cream (if desired) and reserved mushrooms.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.