This delicious and easy Chicken Souvlaki Recipe is just as good as the Greek original!
Take a trip to the Mediterranean and make up a batch or two of these deliciously tender and delicately seasoned lemon chicken skewers. This tender, juicy and flavorful chicken is so easy to make and is a real crowd pleaser!
Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your DINNER Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What Is Chicken Souvlaki?
Souvlaki is a cooking method where the meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken) is cooked horizontally on skewers. Gyros are made from meat that’s cooked horizontally in a cone shape. This recipe has a light marinade that brings out the light flavors of the chicken and makes it a great addition to so many other recipes!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Whether it’s baked or grilled, this recipe for chicken souvlaki comes out tender and juicy every time, and it tastes so authentic!
- These lightly flavored lemon chicken skewers are not only perfectly portable but they make a great picnic meal or even work as a party platter appetizer with a dipping sauce like tzatziki or Low Carb Ranch Dressing & Dip.
- Low in calories, low carb, and a healthy source of protein, chicken souvlaki can be served on a salad, folded into a gyro or wrap, even topped onto cauliflower rice for an easy warm-weather dinner!
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Use tender pieces of chicken like breasts or boneless thighs. In a rush? Use frozen meatballs.
VEGGIE OPTIONS: Thread chopped veggies like zucchini, red onion, or whole mushrooms between the pieces of chicken for an entrée and side dish in one!
How to Make Chicken Souvlaki
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers for an hour & thread marinated chicken onto each skewer equally.
- Cook on an oiled grill per the recipe below.
Delicious Side Dishes
Keeping it low carb, these are the best sides for chicken souvlaki! Mashed Cauliflower with Cream Cheese, Easy Homemade Zoodles, Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli, Cucumber Feta Salad, and a picnic-ready Low Carb Coleslaw. Or serve chicken souvlaki on top of a crispy green salad, for a lunch or suppertime entree.
Tips and Tricks
- Cooking with wet skewers keeps them from burning on the grill. Try coating skewers with oil, for extra flavor!
- For chicken, a meat thermometer that read 165°F ensures the meat is cooked through and ready.
- Use chicken pieces of equal size so they cook at the same rate.
- For easy clean-up, put the chicken and marinade in a large zippered bag and chill in the refrigerator instead of in a bowl. Simply toss the bag!
- Try stirring extra lemon juice into cauliflower rice for a bright, tangy flavor to an ideal side dish!
How to Save Chicken Souvlaki
Keep chicken souvlaki in an air-tight container for 4- 5 days in the refrigerator. Use leftovers in soups, salads, or sandwiches for school or work!
Other Tasty Low Carb Chicken Recipes To Try!
- Air Fryer Roast Chicken – so juicy!
- Low Carb Chicken Tenders – family favorite recipe.
- Garlic Butter Chicken Bites – perfectly seasoned.
- Chicken Taco Bites – delicious appetizer or snack!
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – just 15 minute prep!
Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 lemon juiced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least one hour. Thread chicken onto soaked skewers.
- Cook skewers on an oiled grate turning frequently for 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165°F)