This chicken pasta sauce recipe is so easy and creates a rich and flavorful marinara!
Now, keto lovers can enjoy hearty and flavorful chicken pasta red sauce as a marinara topping or a hearty dip! Serve it as a sauce over low-carb pasta, or riced cauliflower. It’s sure to become a new favorite, with its delicious and hearty slow-cooked flavors, plus it offers something unique to the chef’s palette!
Easy Red Sauce for Pasta
- This hearty sauce has bright, bold flavors, and fresh ingredients and is so versatile, you’ll want to make extra to freeze for later!
- Use up leftover meat and veggies to stretch your budget! This recipe takes a little time to simmer on the stove, but the result is a low carb marinara that is out of this world!
- Perfect for zoodles, over cauliflower, or it even doubles as a hearty dipping sauce with low carb cloud bread, or mozzarella cheese crisps.
What Is in Chicken Pasta Sauce?
CHICKEN: Chicken has fewer calories than most proteins, but on a keto diet, it’s all about watching carbs. Ground beef (or frozen meatballs!), Italian sausage or leftover chicken or turkey are all great choices, be sure they are all pre-cooked.
SAUCE: Low-carb spaghetti sauces are usually low or no-sugar (Rao’s is our favorite). Other low-carb sauces include this Alfredo (white sauce) which is extra creamy and can be used in place of spaghetti sauce. Add some milk or light cream to replace the diced tomatoes and adjust the seasonings, as desired.
VEGGIES: Red peppers add a crunchy texture to chicken pasta sauce, but for extra nutrition that also keeps it keto, add shredded zucchini, sliced mushrooms, spinach, or even finely chopped kale.
SEASONINGS: Try this Italian seasoning recipe instead of using store bought. Double the recipe and have it ready for adding to other dishes.
How to Make Chicken Pasta Red Sauce
- Saute onion until tender, add red pepper and garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then simmer until thickened (as per the recipe below).
- Add chicken and cook until chicken is heated through. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese.
PRO TIP: After the onions, red pepper, and garlic have been sauteed, add a little wine to the pan to deglaze it.
Tips For Tasty Sauce!
Make this sauce without the chicken for a low-carb, vegetarian marinara. Or purchase a rotisserie chicken and use it for this recipe and freeze the rest for future meals.
- Keep chicken pasta sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week and reheat portions on the stovetop, as needed.
- Refresh the flavors with a little extra salt and pepper or fresh garlic.
- Top a Denver omelet, or scoop some over spaghetti squash, or lasagna roll-ups.
- To freeze chicken pasta sauce, pour portions into freezer bags with the date written on the outside and freeze for up to 3 months.
Low Carb Chicken Entrees
Chicken Pasta Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 25 ounces low carb spaghetti sauce
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or cut in chunks
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Add in red pepper and garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer for 1 hour or until sauce thickens.
- Add cooked chicken and simmer for 5 minutes more. Serve on zucchini noodles or your favorite low carb pasta.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.