Keto butter chicken has delicious warm flavors cooked in a creamy curry-style sauce. Best of all, it goes from the stovetop to the dinner table in less than 30 minutes!
Aromatics, the right combination of spices, chicken, chickpeas, and tomatoes, are all simmered in a creamy sauce. Serve it over a bed of riced cauliflower, and top with some cilantro or peanuts.
A Flavorful Entree!
- This is a one-pot main dish that always delivers the flavor! Delish butter chicken tastes like it’s been slow cooking for hours, but using pre-cooked chicken makes this dish into a weeknight favorite.
- Make ahead and serve all week long. Since keto butter chicken has a slightly sweeter, mild curry flavor it goes with anything.
- Keto butter chicken is a great dish to share at a party or gathering! It’s budget-friendly, easy to make ahead, and has incredible exotic flavors with the benefit of being low-carb!
What’s In Keto Butter Chicken
Chicken – Leftover cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken is what makes this dish a winner! Pre-cooked frozen chicken thighs are great choices for portion control.
Butter Sauce – Butter, tomatoes, and cream are the basics for butter chicken. And the seasonings make the sauce come together perfectly! Use fresh or dried spices (and adjust for taste). Don’t skimp on the freshly grated ginger for the best flavor!
Extras – Keeping it keto, bulk up your dish by adding chopped spinach, kale, zucchini, or shredded brussels sprouts. Or top with chopped peanuts or cilantro.
How To Make Butter Chicken
- Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger in butter until they are softened.
- Add spices and cook (as per the recipe below).
- Add tomatoes, cream, and chicken.
- Continue cooking until it’s thickened and heated through.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with cilantro, peanuts, or a wedge of lemon.
Enjoy keto butter chicken on its own, serve it like a sandwich between two slices of cloud bread, tuck a scoop or two in a low-carb wrap for a workday lunch, or top cauliflower rice for a heartier dinner. Add a bright and tangy tomato salad, or a cucumber onion salad.
Keep leftover keto butter chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Freeze chilled butter chicken in zippered bags for up to 2 months.
Keto Sides and Starters
Keto Butter Chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in spices and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heavy cream, simmer 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add chicken and simmer 3-4 minutes more or until heated through. Season with kosher salt to taste.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Adapted from Spend With Pennies Butter Chicken.