Check out this delicious keto recipe for our Chicken and Spaghetti Squash casserole.
This spaghetti squash and chicken recipe is healthy and filling, and it’s also the perfect low carb option when time is short and tummies are growling! Bake up this tasty casserole and enjoy dinners and lunches all week long without ruining your waistline!
Chicken and Spaghetti Squash
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your CASSEROLES Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Why We Love This Recipe
Ditch the starchy pasta and switch over to spaghetti squash for its fiber-packed, low calorie perfection! Spaghetti squash is a super healthy winter veggie that is so versatile! Served hot or cold, in a soup, stew, or in a casserole like this one, spaghetti squash is a low carb dieter’s dream.
Ingredients and Variations
Super rich and cheesy, this spaghetti squash and chicken recipe will be on your regular menu rotation all year long!
CHEESE Three different kinds of cheese make this low carb dinner a decadent delight! Short on time? Add a jar of pre-made Alfredo sauce in place of the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Don’t forget to garnish with Parmesan!
VEGGIES some colorful bell peppers and tomatoes are mixed into this creamy casserole. In keeping with the low carb spirit of the recipe, we like to mix it up by adding mushrooms or zucchini. Even eggplant or cubes of butternut squash will add a different flavor profile.
MEAT Feel free to use up leftover chicken, turkey, or ground sausage too! Even some bacon bits or homemade bacon crumbles can be used in the main recipe or as a garnish!
How to Make Chicken and Spaghetti Squash
Delicious creamy keto sauce on top of roasted spaghetti squash? Who needs pasta with a recipe this good! Here’s a basic overview of the steps involved in preparation.
- Prepare spaghetti squash according to recipe instructions at the bottom of post.
- Sauté veggies. Add cream cheese and seasonings. Add broth and cream. Simmer until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and Parmesan.
- Place all ingredients in casserole, top with remaining cheese, and bake.
What to Serve with Chicken and Spaghetti Squash
Recipe Tips & Tricks
For a smooth and creamy sauce, start with room temperature cream cheese and whisk it carefully with the broth and cream a little bit at a time.
Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and they’ll keep about 3 days. Freeze chicken and spaghetti squash casserole in zippered bags labeled with the date on the outside. It will keep frozen about 6 months.
Other Easy Casseroles To Try!
- Zucchini Lasagna – excellent!
- Shepherd’s Pie – a classic, but low carb.
- Cordon Bleu Casserole – family favorite!
- Cabbage Casserole – easy dinner idea.
- Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole – low carb delight!
Chicken and Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup bell pepper chopped red or green
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice spaghetti squash into 1" thick rings. Scrape out seeds and bake 35-40 minutes or until tender. Scrape with a fork to create strands.
- Cook onion, garlic and bell pepper in butter until tender. Add cream cheese and Italian seasoning, then cook until melted. Stir in broth and cream slowly until smooth. Simmer until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, add parmesan cheese and 1 cup cheddar. Mix until smooth and season with season and pepper to taste.
- Combine spaghetti squash, chicken, cream sauce and canned tomatoes, mix well. Spread in a greased 3qt baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.