Smashed Brussels sprouts are crispy, cheesy little bites of deliciousness!
Make this uber-easy recipe and serve it as a side dish or appetizer using only 3 ingredients and a dash of salt and pepper.
Easy & Delish Side!
- Smashed Brussels sprouts have simple ingredients like olive oil and parmesan cheese, for a savory flavor that goes with anything, like these air fryer pork chops or lemon garlic chicken!
- Brussels sprouts are perfectly low-carb and keto-friendly. Plus they are a great source of nutrition and are available year-round. Prepare them in dozens of ways!
- Make this delish dish up to a day in advance and reheat it under the broiler or in the air fryer!
Ingredients And Variations
Brussels Sprouts – Choose Brussel sprouts that are roughly the same size and are heavy and whole. Remove any torn or discolored leaves. For an extra pop of low-carb color, roast bite-sized pieces of cauliflower with Brussels sprouts!
Seasoning – A little olive oil helps the parmesan cheese roast onto the sprouts giving them that crispy texture. Or try using leftover bacon grease to give them a smoky flavor! Use a simple garlic herb seasoning, or a zesty taco seasoning for a twist.
Extras – Versatile, healthy, and tasty, smashed Brussels sprouts can be served with homemade tzatziki or an Alfredo sauce, or enjoyed plain alongside baked chicken breasts, or beef Rouladen.
How To Make Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Boil prepared Brussel sprouts in water and drain well.
- Toss sprouts with the remaining ingredients and spread them in a roasting pan.
- Flatten the Brussels sprouts with the bottom of a glass and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake (per the recipe below).
Recipe Tips & Tricks!
Keep leftover smashed Brussel sprouts in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat under the broiler or in an air fryer. To freeze leftovers, place them in a zippered bag in the freezer for up to four weeks.
Delicious Roasted Vegetables
Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- 1 ½ pounds brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Wash Brussels sprouts and trim ends. Cut in half if they are large. Add to pot and boil for 8-10 minutes until bright green and tender all the way through. Drain well.
- In a bowl, toss boiled Brussels sprouts with olive oil, ¼ cup of parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto a roasting pan.
- Use a glass or ramekin to flatten the Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Leftover smashed Brussels sprouts will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Recrisp them under the broiler or in an air fryer.
- Freeze in a freezer bag for up to 4 weeks and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.