Beef Rouladen is a savory and flavorful German style dish that will perk up the same ho-hum boring dinner routine. And it is well known that variation is the spice of life.
Made with a thin layer of beef, that is stuffed with pickles, bacon, onions, and mustard, this rouladen recipe is sure to please.
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Easy Rouladen Recipe
- This recipe is so easy to make and requires just a few simple ingredients.
- Don’t forget to make the gravy sauce! In a traditional German meal, this gravy is used to dunk potatoes or a well-made egg noodle. For low carb sides, serve Beef Rouladen with Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower, or Cauliflower Fried Rice, and some Fried Cabbage with Bacon.
Ingredients & Variations
BEEF: The beef is cut into long, wide and thin strips usually cut from the top round. Thinly sliced flank steak will also work well.
STUFFING: This roulade calls for only a few simple ingredients like mustard, bacon, onions, and pickles.
GRAVY: Cook rolls in broth, canned mushrooms, and pickle juice. Then use these juices, along with some xanthan gum (to keep it low carb), to make the thick gravy.
How to Make Beef Rouladen
Roll these into a delicious meal.
- Pound the meat & season each piece with some mustard. Add onions, bacon, and pickles.
- Roll and secure with a toothpick.
- Brown rolls in a pan, then add the broth, canned mushrooms, and pickle juice. Roast.
- Make the gravy. (As per recipe below)
Tips for the Perfect Roulade
- Place rolls seam side down in the pan to help prevent rolls from unraveling. It may also be necessary to secure rolls with more than one toothpick.
- Pound thin slices of meat with a mallet to make it extra tender and much easier to cut after it has been cooked.
- For additional flavor, be sure to scrape up any browned bits left in the pan (called the fond or simply pan drippings).
- Prepare and roll the meat ahead of time for a quick and easy dinner later on!
More Recipes To Roll!
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups – cheesy and healthy.
- Easy Low Carb Cabbage Rolls – stuffed and ready!
- BLT Egg Salad Wrap – perfect lunch roll recipe!
- 6 slices beef rounds or thinly sliced flank steak
- 3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion sliced
- 6 dill pickles
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- 1 can mushrooms with juice, optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons xantham gum
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place beef slices on a cutting board and gently pound using a meat tenderizer.
- Over each slice, spread a thin layer of mustard, season with pepper, top with bacon, onions, and a dill pickle.
- Roll up each Rouladen lengthwise, around the pickle, and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat butter in a pan and brown each roll. Place rolls in a roasting dish, add broth, canned mushrooms, and ¼ cup pickle juice. Roast 90-120 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Remove Rouladen from the juices, set on a plate and cover.
- Heat juices over medium heat until boiling. Combine xanthan gum with an equal amount of water. Slowly add the mixture to the boiling broth while whisking until it reaches the desired thickness (You may not need all of it).
- Serve Rouladen over mashed cauliflower with gravy.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Beef Rouladen Recipe!
Wow! I have been cooking this recipe for over 40 years. I got it from my grandmother and I have never seen this anywhere else. We must be related. LOL
It is so delicious! So glad you have been enjoying it all along.