Now even low carb lovers can enjoy hot and cheesy Low Carb Enchiladas!
This recipe has all the classic components of everyone’s favorite Mexican dish without the carb overload! Low carb enchiladas are the perfect main dish for a make and bake potluck or party. This Mexican-style casserole is made with cooked chicken and some enchilada sauce that gets dressed up with onions and jalapenos for homemade flavor.
Low Carb Enchiladas
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your DINNER Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What are Enchiladas?
A staple in classic Mexican cuisine, enchiladas are made by rolling a tortilla around meat, cheese, bean, or veggie filling. It’s then topped with a spicy tomato-based sauce and baked in the oven casserole-style with a cheese topping. Enchiladas are truly delicious, especially for anyone who enjoys the flavors of Mexican food.
Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas
- This recipe for low-carb chicken enchiladas has all the classic ingredients of regular enchiladas, except low-carb flour tortillas are used.
- This delish dish is perfect for low-carb lovers and also those not following a low-carb lifestyle. No one will be able to tell it’s just the tortillas! All the same tender and juicy chicken, enchilada sauce, cheese, and seasonings stay the same!
- Make this dish ahead and keep it in the refrigerator, then bake when needed!
Ingredients and Variations
MEAT – Using cooked chicken is a real timesaver for this recipe. And even leftover chicken, turkey or ground beef will all work. For meat alternatives that aren’t carb heavy, use cooked quinoa, tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
CHEESE – Cheddar cheese has a bold flavor and makes for extra melty enchiladas! However, any cheese blend will work; Monterey Jack, Cotija, or a packaged Mexican blend of finely shredded cheddar, Jack, Asadero, and Queso Quesadilla.
SAUCE – Enchilada sauce is different than regular tomato sauce because it’s pre-seasoned with Mexican spices. For an extra spicy sauce, however, make a batch of homemade Keto Taco Seasoning Recipe, or add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
VEGETABLES – Onions and jalapenos are key for super flavorful enchiladas! Or make low-carb veggie enchiladas by adding a sautéed medley of onions, quartered Brussels sprouts, roasted radishes, zucchini, and spinach.
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
- Sauté veggies per recipe directions.
- Scoop enchilada sauce into each tortilla, fill with chicken, cheese, and veggies, and roll up.
- Top with remainder of enchilada sauce, cheese and optional toppings.
- Cover and bake until the cheese is bubbly (as per the recipe below).
PRO TIP: Garnish with sliced black olives, sliced green onions, and a dollop of sour cream for that restaurant-quality look!
What To Serve With Enchiladas
Perfect for a potluck or party – serve with a tangy low carb Shredded Brussel Sprout Slaw, or a fresh Cucumber Feta Salad. Serving a big crowd? Why not make Low Carb Taco Casserole and let guests choose their favorite? Avocado Dip is perfect for adding to plates as a garnish.
Tips For Success!
Low carb flour tortillas or low carb corn tortillas may crack more easily than regular tortillas. To prevent this, stack them between damp paper towels and heat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Remove the steamed tortillas from the microwave and keep them in a plastic bag. Take one out at a time while assembling the recipe. Remember to place the filled enchiladas seam side down so the tops don’t crack during baking.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep leftover low-carb enchiladas covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat portions in the microwave before serving.
Other Low Carb Mains!
- Low Carb Zucchini Enchiladas – dinner in 1 hour!
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – one skillet dinner.
- Low Carb Taco Casserole – spicy and delicious.
- Low Carb Enchilada Casserole – quick 15 minute prep.
- Baked Crack Chicken – so addictive!
Low Carb Enchiladas
- ½ onion diced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1 can enchilada sauce divided
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 8 low carb tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sautee onions and jalapenos together over medium heat until tender.
- Add enchilada sauce to the tortillas and add chicken, cheese, and onion mixture to them.
- Roll up tortillas with the seam on the bottom and place in a 9x13 pan.
- Pour remaining sauce on top and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered and then 5 minutes uncovered.
- To prevent tortillas from cracking, stack between damp paper towels and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Store heated tortillas in a plastic bag until ready to assemble.
- Place filled enchiladas seam side down in casserole dish.