Full of savory flavor, this creamy cauliflower soup recipe is a delicious way to start or continue a healthy keto or low carb lifestyle!
Cauliflower and chicken broth are simmered with aromatic vegetables and herbs, and then blended with cream cheese for a warming soup that has just the right amount of richness to satisfy.
Keep it basic or load it up with tasty and colorful extras. This healthy cauliflower soup recipe lends itself to creativity!
Creamy Low Carb Soup!
- Creamy cauliflower soup is a cozy warming dish that’s hearty enough for a full bowl to make a meal, yet light enough for a cup to serve as an appetizing meal starter.
- Put your own creative spin on it. Add in meat extras or veggies that need to be used up.
- Delicious, budget-friendly cauliflower soup will fill your stomach without emptying your wallet! Since it’s boiled and blended, go ahead and chop up the stem. It will lend extra flavor and stretch the recipe even more.
Ingredients and Variations
Cauliflower – Look for the freshest one you can find; one with no dark spots. Deepen the soup’s flavor profile by using roasted cauliflower first before adding to the soup! Use leftover cauliflower in other delish low carb soups!
Cream cheese – Full fat cream cheese will give the best flavor and texture. For a richer soup, add half-and-half or some heavy cream. Cheddar will melt well, thicken the soup, and add a lot of flavor.
Broth – A good quality store bought chicken broth lends a good round flavor, but nothing beats homemade broth, so use it if you have it! Vegetable broth is a great alternative for vegans, and you can add a dash or two of coconut aminos if you want to bump up the umami taste.
Variations – Get creative and make a different soup every time! Add melty cheddar cheese, broccoli, mushrooms, bacon, sausage, or diced ham. Season with nutmeg, cayenne, or smoked paprika. Float some sour cream, chickpeas, or green peas on top for a garnish. Or, make a chunky chicken version. So many options with cream of cauliflower soup!
How To Make Cauliflower Soup
This easy soup is ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
- In a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in butter until tender, as described in recipe below.
- Add cauliflower, chicken broth, celery, and seasonings to pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and with a hand blender, pulse in bursts, leaving some chunks for texture
- Garnish with parsley and chives and serve immediately with rolls or cloud bread.
Tips For Creamy Soups
For the best texture, cream soups, like this cauliflower soup or broccoli cheddar soup, are often served fresh off the stove instead of reheated. But you can make them ahead too. Just leave out the dairy and then add and blend before serving!
For easy prep and cleanup, use a hand blender if you have one. Be sure to fully immerse the head of the blender in the soup before turning it on to avoid spatters! A hand masher can also be used for a chunkier soup.
Leftover Cauliflower Soup
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days, or in the freezer up to six months.
- You can also re-purpose this soup in other recipes! Turn it into a curried soup, or use as a sauce to moisten cauliflower stuffing or or add to broccoli or enchilada casserole. Versatile cauliflower goes with practically anything!
Did you make this recipe for Creamy Cauliflower Soup? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 celery ribs diced
- 6 cups cauliflower florets about 1 pound
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth not low sodium
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- salt & pepper , to taste
- fresh parsley and chives , for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic until tender.
- Add celery, cauliflower, chicken broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes uncovered (until tender).
- Remove bay leaf and discard. Mix in cream cheese. Use a hand blender to blend and thicken the soup. Pulse when blending to leave a few chunks for texture.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper. Garnish and serve.
- This recipe can be made ahead! Just leave out the dairy and then add and blend right before serving!
- Use a hand blender for quick and easy blending. Fully immerse the head of the blender in the soup to avoid spatters!
- Use a hand masher for a chunkier soup.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.