Make this velvety Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup to enjoy all week long!
It’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner or a meal prep desktop lunch! Cook up this recipe for a low carb broccoli cheddar soup any time you need a bowl full of creamy, healthy deliciousness! Make clean up a breeze with this one-pot wonder that goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in minutes.
Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SOUPS Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Low Carb Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Loaded with healthy ingredients and slow-cooked in a rich cheese sauce, you’ll never know it’s keto!
- Make ahead for an energizing workday lunch or freeze for up to 3 months for future meals.
- It’s not calories that count on a low-carb diet, it’s flavorful fats that keep you feeling satisfied! This soup has it all!
- Turn broccoli cheddar soup into a bisque by pureeing the finished soup in a blender and serve with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and some cracked black pepper!
Ingredients and Variations
BROCCOLI: Choose florets that are firm and bright green, free of any brown spots. Cauliflower can be used instead of broccoli and the addition of some frozen spinach or even green peas will keep it low-carb while adding a pop of color and some extra nutrition!
CHEESE: Cream cheese makes the soup base thick and heavy cream shouldn’t be substituted for anything else. Full-fat dairy products give the soup its distinctly smooth and creamy texture.
STOCKS AND SEASONINGS: Chicken broth adds flavor to the base of this soup, and sautéed onions and garlic give the soup a full-bodied flavor, use a vegetable-based broth for a vegetarian soup. Thyme is a delicate herb, but basil, even oregano can be used.
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Homemade broccoli soup is super easy to make!
- Sauté garlic and onion in butter. Add broccoli, broth, & thyme. Simmer with cream cheese.
- Remove & chop 1 cup of vegetables. Blend soup until smooth.
- Add heavy cream, simmer (per recipe below).
- Stir in cheeses & chopped vegetables, season and serve.
- For best results and easy mixing, have the cream cheese come to room temperature before using in the recipe.
- Fresh herbs are always the best in any recipe but most home cooks don’t know the ratio from fresh to dried herbs! Here is an easy method to write down or remember: 1 Tablespoon of fresh to 1 teaspoon of dried. That’s because dried herbs are actually more potent than fresh!
Other Easy Soup Recipes To Try!
- Low Carb Cauliflower Soup – creamy and delicious.
- Asian Noodle Soup – low carb with zucchini noodles!
- Low Carb Hamburger Soup – a hearty meal in a bowl.
- Keto/Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Soup – so tasty!
Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Cook butter, garlic, and onion until onion is tender (3-4 minutes).
- Add broccoli, chicken broth, and thyme. Simmer covered until broccoli is softened (6 minutes). Add cream cheese and simmer 2 minutes more.
- Remove 1 cup of vegetables, coarsely chop and set aside. Blend remaining soup until smooth (a hand blender works well for this)
- Add cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheeses & chopped vegetables. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.