Hearty and healthy merge in this delicious sausage kale soup.
Smokey sausage, bright tomatoes, cauliflower, and healthy kale are simmered in chicken broth for a soup that is sure to chase those chills away.
It will be easy to cozy up and enjoy this comforting soup!
Low Carb Kale Soup!
- Easy to make and easy to enjoy this soup has an Italian flair and is one the whole family will love.
- This sausage and kale soup recipe includes low carb and healthy ingredients.
- The addition of hearty sausage makes this a robust soup that can be served as a full dinner.
Ingredients and Variations
Sausage – Any sausage can be added to this recipe. Pork, turkey, or beef sausage are all great options. A smokier sausage will add more flavor to the finished soup.
Vegetables – Choose cauliflower that is free of blemishes or brown spots. Cut all of the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
Broth – Homemade broth like this turkey broth, boxed broth, or instant broth cubes are all great options for this recipe.
Variations – Replace the kale with some Swiss chard or even spinach. Use broccoli instead of cauliflower. Make it a little spicier by adding some cayenne or chili pepper. Italian seasoning Recipe or easy garlic herb seasoning can be added as well. Top it with some parmesan cheese to make it a little creamy.
How to Make Sausage Kale Soup
- Cook the sausage and the garlic in a large pot (as per the recipe below).
- Add the broth, tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower and spices. Simmer.
- Add kale and cook until tender.
Tips and Tricks
- This kale soup recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Simmer on low for 4 hours and add the kale for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cut the sausage and the cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces.
- Add the juices from the tomatoes. This will add a depth of flavor to the broth.
Leftover Kale Soup
Leftover kale soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This is a great soup for freezing and will keep its flavor for 3 months. Store in a zippered bag or in a freezer-safe container. Remember to allow the soup to cool before putting it in the freezer.
Did you make this recipe for Sausage Kale Soup? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Sausage Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ pound smoked sausage sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 cups kale finely chopped
- Add olive oil to a large pot. Combine onion and sausage, cook 4-5 minutes over medium heat or until onion is tender.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, cauliflower, oregano and pepper. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add kale and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Cut cauliflower and sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- This kale soup recipe can also be made in the CrockPot. Cook all ingredients except kale on low for 4 hours. Add the kale for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Include the juices from the tomatoes to enhance the flavor or the broth.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.