This recipe for homemade Fajita Grilled Turkey Burgers is super easy to make and so delicious, it’s sure to become a summer grill-season favorite.
Colorful bell peppers and red onions are mixed with ground turkey to form incredibly flavorful burger patties. Then, these same veggies are marinated and grilled along side the burgers to add as a topping. Add a zesty southwest sauce as the crowning glory for a delicious burger that is hard to resist! So let the grill pull double duty in this healthy, low-carb main dish!
Fajita Grilled Turkey Burgers
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Fajita Turkey Burgers on The Grill
- Homemade turkey burgers on the grill far surpass frozen ones and they always come out moist and tasty. Double up the recipe and freeze them cooked or uncooked for future meals.
- Serve on a bed of greens or wrap lettuce around them for a hearty, hand-held meal with a dash of Tabasco or some shredded cheese, green chiles, or sliced olives.
Ingredients & Variations
TURKEY: Ground turkey is an inexpensive source of protein with a mild flavor that goes with almost anything! For juicier burgers, use a 1:1 turkey and ground pork blend. Ground chicken is also a good choice!
VEGGIES: Colorful bell peppers and onions are classic fajita veggies. For a heartier veggie mix, add grilled zucchini and mushrooms!
SAUCE: This bright and tangy southwest sauce brings all the flavors together. Try a DIY fajita, Southwest Seasoning, or Keto Taco Seasoning Recipe for any Tex-Mex dish. Use sour cream in place of the yogurt/mayo combo, if desired.
VARIATIONS: Add some cheese to these burgers during the last few minutes of grilling. Try a flavorful Jalapeno Pepper Jack or Habanero Cheddar cheese for added flavor.
How To Make Fajita Turkey Burgers
These fajita turkey burgers are a breeze to make on the grill.
- Cut peppers and onion in half. Marinate.
- Dice the remaining peppers and some red onion.
- Combine turkey, diced vegetables, cilantro, garlic, thyme, cumin, and seasoning.
- Form into 8 equal patties and cook (as per the recipe below).
- Grill marinated veggies and slice them into strips.
- Top each burger with grilled veggies and some sauce. Serve.
PRO TIP: Save a step by slicing bell peppers and onions before marinating and then use a grill pan or a cast iron pan to cook them. The veggies will not need to cool down in order to be sliced.
How Long to Grill Turkey Burgers
Grill turkey burgers until just cooked and a meat thermometer reads 165°F. Remove from the grill and cover.
How To Make Moist Turkey Burgers
For best results, avoid overworking the meat mixture as it will become tough as it cooks. Remove the meat as soon as the temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the patty since it will continue to cook as it rests.
What Goes with Fajita Turkey Burgers
Separate the marinated veggies from the leftover fajita turkey burgers and keep them both in covered containers for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave, then assemble.
Either or both can be added to soups, and frittatas or served cold in lettuce wraps. Freeze cooled patties for up to 4 weeks and veggies for up to 6 weeks.
Other Delicious and Easy Meals!
- Easy Turkey Burgers – just 5 minutes prep!
- Turkey Breast Cutlets with Dijon Sauce – so flavorful.
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – ready in 45 minutes.
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet – easy one pan meal.
Fajita Grilled Turkey Burgers
- 1 each of red, green and yellow peppers divided
- 1 red onion divided
- 3 Tablespoons Southwest Seasoning divided
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely diced (optional)
- ⅓ cup fat free greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tablespoons southwest seasoning
- Mix together sauce ingredients and refrigerate.
To Marinate Veggies:
- Cut a red, green and yellow pepper in half. Set each half aside for later.
- Slice the peppers and ½ red onion into large pieces.
- In a small bowl mix 1 Tablespoon Southwest Seasoning, 1 Tablespoon water and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Toss with veggies and set aside.
To Make Burgers:
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Dice remaining ½ red pepper, green pepper & yellow pepper. Mince red onion to make 2 Tablespoons.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, diced peppers, minced red onion, cilantro, garlic, thyme, cumin & 1 Tablespoon southwest seasoning just until mixed.
- Divide into 8 equal pieces and form into ¾" thick patties.
- Lightly spray each patty with no stick spray and sprinkle with Southwest Seasoning. Grill about 4-5 minutes on each side or just until cooked through (do not overcook). Meat should reach 165°F. Cover and allow to rest.
- Grill marinated veggies about 5 minutes or until just softened. Slice veggies into narrow strips
- Top each burger patty with veggies and 1 Tablespoon south west sauce. Serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Fajita Grilled Turkey Burgers recipe!