No one will suspect this flavorful and elegant creamy spinach chicken dish is low-carb!
Sauteed chicken and fresh spinach are cooked in a creamy parmesan sauce for an easy dish that will be on weekly rotation all year long!
With only one pan to clean, creamy spinach chicken is the ideal weeknight meal and even upscale enough for last-minute company!
Creamy Spinach Chicken
- Chicken is the ultimate keto-friendly, healthy protein that’s affordable and easy to work with and this dish is no exception!
- Even the sauce only has 3 ingredients! Who doesn’t love a one-pot recipe that goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in 30 minutes?
- Tasty leftovers! Double up the batch and enjoy dinners or workday lunches all week long.
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are uniformly shaped and easy to cut into strips, but if time is short, use pre-cooked frozen strips that are thawed and simply need to be reheated in Step 5. Even leftover shredded chicken or meat from a rotisserie chicken will work.
Spinach – Chop fresh spinach or use frozen spinach that’s been thawed with the liquid squeezed out.
Sauce – Cream cheese and heavy cream are perfect partners for making a rich and creamy sauce! Make your own or if in a pinch for time use a jar of Alfredo sauce.
Seasonings – This recipe works perfectly with just a little minced garlic and chili flakes, but feel free to add chopped basil or a dried Italian mix. Chili flakes and red pepper flakes can be used interchangeably, but be aware that red pepper flakes are spicier.
Variations – Different proteins to use can be ground Italian sausage or sliced summer sausage, even shrimp or cooked smoked salmon will go well with the creamy, cheesy sauce. Bulk up this dish by adding sliced mushrooms, chopped artichoke hearts, shredded Brussels sprouts, or diced tomatoes along with the spinach.
How to Make Creamy Spinach Chicken
This recipe is ready in 30 minutes from start to finish!
- Cook chicken as directed in the recipe below. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter and add chicken broth and reduce by half. Stir in cream cheese and then heavy cream.
- Slice the chicken and add it along with the spinach to the skillet.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and chili flakes. Season with a wedge of lemon juice, and extra chili flakes, if desired.
What Goes With Spinach Chicken
Serve creamy spinach chicken over ‘pasta’ zoodles, cauliflower rice, or mashed cauliflower. Add a tangy cucumber and onion salad to balance the rich flavors of the cheesy sauce. As for dessert? Why not serve a keto chocolate mousse for something special?
This dish will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container and while it can be frozen, be aware that the white sauce will separate once it’s thawed. Just reheat it on the stovetop and whisk in a little more heavy cream to bring it back together. Leftovers can also be added to upgrade a savory cream of mushroom soup.
Creamy Spinach Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and almost cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium and cook butter, onion, and garlic until the onion is tender.
- Add chicken broth and simmer 3-5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Add heavy cream and simmer 3-4 minutes or until it slightly thickens. Add chicken and fresh spinach. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and chili flakes.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
- Season the chicken generously with salt, pepper, and any other preferred spices or herbs before cooking. This ensures that every bite is packed with flavor.
- While frozen spinach will work, fresh spinach adds a vibrant color and a brighter taste to the dish. It also maintains a pleasant texture when wilted into the creamy sauce.
- Feel free to personalize the sauce to your liking. Consider adding a splash of white wine, or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese to elevate the flavors even further.
- Garnish for visual appeal with chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley or chives.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.