This Cucumber & Onion Salad makes a healthy side or main lunch dish!
Tired of the same old green leaf lettuce salad? It is simple to shake things up a bit with this easy to make onion and cucumber salad recipe. Thinly sliced cucumbers and onions are tossed with a lightly sweetened vinaigrette and then refrigerated before serving. This is a great way to use up that summer cucumber harvest.
Cucumber & Onion Salad
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SALADS Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Easy Onion Cucumber Salad!
- Cucumbers are a cool and refreshing vegetable. They are easy to find in the produce section of the supermarket, even during the winter months.
- A dash of pepper, some salt, and sugar are simple additions to the vinaigrette.
- Onions are sliced and added to the salad for a sharp contrast to the mellow flavors of the cucumber. These two pair so well together.
CUCUMBER: The main cucumbers that are found in grocery stores are long English cucumbers and field cucumbers. The field cucumber tends to have a waxier and thicker skin compared to its English counterpart, but there is not much difference in flavor. Both will taste good with this vinaigrette. Check out the local farmer’s markets for different varieties. A fresh cucumber is firm, slightly sweet, with delicious undertones. It requires just a little vinaigrette to make it shine!
ONION: White onion is a basic addition to this salad. Pungent and sharp, this vegetable will add a deeper flavor to the mild cucumber. Don’t hesitate to replace it with sweeter varieties of onions like colorful red onions, or Vidalia sweet onions.
VINAIGRETTE: The base for any vinaigrette is oil and vinegar. The vegetable oil can be replaced with some first cold-pressed olive oil or even some avocado oil. There are many options for vinegar. Plain white vinegar is the cheapest and easiest option, but for a deeper flavor replace it with an apple cider vinegar or balsamic.
VARIATIONS: Turn this into a creamy salad with this creamy vinaigrette or a low-carb ranch dressing made with mayonnaise and sour cream. Add some tomatoes or add a little fresh dill to the salad. Dress it up with some feta cheese and avocado.
How to Make a Cucumber And Onion Salad
Onion cucumber salad is a simple and easy side dish.
- Slice cucumber and onion (as per the recipe below).
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Pour vinaigrette over the cucumber and onion.
- Toss, then chill & serve.
A salad like this is a great stand-alone for lunch, but it is also so mild flavored that it would pair well with almost any main meal. Serve it with some creamy dijon chicken breasts, beef rouladen, or baked crack chicken. For a more filling lunch serve with some low carb chicken soup.
Recipe Tips & Tricks!
- Make this salad ahead of time and have it ready for lunch at work or school.
- In an air-tight container, it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- For a super fresh and crunchy make-ahead salad, just double the batch of vinaigrette and have it ready to toss with salads or more sliced onions and cucumbers.
- Make this vinaigrette and use as a marinade for meats or other veggies. It would be delicious with a medley of crisp cauliflower, broccoli and carrots!
Other Summertime Salads
- Broccoli Bacon Cheese Salad – savory low-carb goodness!
- Best Greek Salad Recipe – tangy dressing.
- Zucchini Pasta Salad – a garden delight!
- Dill Pickle Salad With Cauliflower – perfect BBQ side.
Cucumber & Onion Salad
- 2 English cucumbers thinly sliced
- ½ white onion thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Wash cucumbers and pat dry. Slice cucumber and onion, then place in a large bowl.
- Stir together remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over cucumber and onions and mix until coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Make this salad ahead of time, ready to take for a healthy lunch.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for 3-5 days.
- Double the vinaigrette recipe and store in the refrigerator to use in other salads or as a marinade for meat dishes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Cucumber and Onion Salad recipe!
Perfect flavor for me. Light and flavorful. used sugar substitute (Lakanto) and it will be a regular dish.
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed this recipe Trish! Thank you for sharing.