Bacon Creamed Cabbage is the ultimate Norwegian comfort food that goes back for generations.
This creamed cabbage recipe makes for a delicious meal for a potluck or a buffet casserole. Creamy cabbage with salty and tasty bacon is a combination that everyone will love. Because who doesn’t like bacon?
Bacon Creamed Cabbage
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SIDE DISH Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Why We Love This Creamed Cabbage Recipe
- Keep simple recipes like this one in the recipe box anytime a hearty side dish is needed. Serve it with a low carb meatloaf, beef rouladen or some air fryer chicken breasts and keep it keto all the way!
- Make this creamed cabbage recipe with bacon and onions for a hearty dish.
- Make it with extra chicken stock and heavy cream, and it becomes a savory soup that’s a yummy tummy filler for those cold-weather days and nights.
Ingredients and Variations
CABBAGE: Lots of thinly sliced cabbage creates the base for this hearty side. White cabbage is preferred but any colored cabbage will do.
THE SAUCE: The savory broth is made from chicken stock and heavy cream. For vegetarians and vegans, vegetarian stock is a great substitute. Oat milk is the best non-dairy substitute for heavy cream because it still delivers the creamy texture of cream.
VARIATIONS: Add sliced brussels sprouts or thinly sliced carrots for color and texture and a little nutritional boost. Diced ham, or sausage crumbles can replace the bacon. Cover the finished dish with shredded cheddar cheese and place pan (oven-proof or transfer to a casserole dish) under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on each serving.
How To Make Bacon Creamed Cabbage
The steps for this quick and easy side could not be more simple!
- Cook bacon, set aside.
- Cook onion & garlic in bacon fat. Add cabbage, stock & cream. Cook (per recipe below).
- Return crisp bacon to pan and season with salt & pepper.
- Pinched for time? Use cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup in place of the heavy cream.
- Bags of pre-sliced cabbage can be found in the produce section with lettuce mixes.
- Bacon bits can be used in place of cooking bacon from scratch, so use vegetable oil in the first step.
Can Creamed Cabbage Be Frozen?
Once cooled, bacon creamed cabbage can be frozen by scooping it into a zippered bag. Press out the air and write the date on the outside. Freeze laying flat so it can be propped up (book-like) to save freezer space. Creamed cabbage will stay frozen for about 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat slowly on the stovetop.
Other Delicious Cabbage Recipes To Try!
- Low Carb Cabbage Rolls – a classic made low carb!
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon– delicious.
- Low Carb Coleslaw – perfect for potlucks or barbecues!
- Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole – lazy low carb cabbage rolls.
Bacon Creamed Cabbage
- 2 slices bacon uncooked
- ¼ cup onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups cabbage thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Dice bacon and cook bacon in a skillet until browned. Once browned remove with a slotted spoon reserving bacon fat.
- Add onion to the bacon fat and cook until tender. Stir in garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage and cook 2-3 minutes or just until it starts to wilt.
- Add chicken stock and heavy cream and cook uncovered until cabbage is tender and sauce has thickened. Stir in bacon and season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately.