This cabbage steak recipe is a simple baked dish that is deliciously low carb!
Healthy cabbage is cored, sliced into halves, and then coated with butter, garlic, and salt. Finally, it is baked in the oven until the edges are charred and the cabbage is soft and tender.
What could be easier than this tasty side dish?
Best Cabbage Steak Recipe
- Simple ingredients make this so easy to prepare in advance.
- Cabbage steaks are roasted in the oven until they are lightly charred, and flavorful.
- Cabbage is healthy, cheap, and low carb, making it the best lunch or side dish.
- With its mild and slightly sweet flavor cabbage steaks will pair well with almost any main.
Ingredients & Variations
Cabbage – Buy fully intact heads of cabbage for this recipe (not pre-shredded). Make sure the heads are without brown leaves. They should be heavy and full. Green cabbage is the best option but red will work also.
Variations – Toss in some fennel bulbs, and carrots. After the cabbage has cooked, sprinkle with some feta or parmesan cheese. Adding some keto breadcrumbs near the end of the baking time will add a little extra crunch to the steaks.
How to Make Cabbage Steaks
Just a few easy steps and the perfect low carb side dish is at the ready!
- Combine the butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the stem of the cabbage, and slice it into rounds.
- Brush with butter mixture. Bake in the preheated oven, (per recipe below).
What to Eat with Cabbage Steaks
Cabbage steaks will pair with almost any main dish. However, they will taste perfect with creamy dijon pork medallions, bacon wrapped chicken, or beef rouladen. Try it alongside some low carb meatloaf or serve it with Italian sausage and peppers. It’s delish with so many things!
Tips & Tricks
- Remember to remove the outer leaves of the cabbage, and remove the core (it can be tough and woody).
- Cut the steaks evenly into 1/2 inch thick. Make sure they are cut the same width so they cook evenly.
- Keep leftover steaks in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Tasty Low Carb Cabbage Recipes
Did you make this recipe for Cabbage Steaks? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
- 1 head cabbage washed, with outside leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Stir together melted butter, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut the stem off the cabbage so the bottom is flat. Place the cabbage flat side down and slice into ½-inch thick rounds.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and generously brush melted butter mixture over the rounds.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes to lightly char, if desired.
- Remove the outer leaves, then wash the cabbage thoroughly. Remember to remove the tough, woody core from each slice.
- Make sure each slice is the same width, so that cabbage steaks will all cook at the same rate.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.