This Portobello Mushroom Pizza Recipe makes low carb personal pizzas fun and easy to make!
Now, you can eat all the pizza you want because this recipe for Portobello Mushroom Pizza is low carb, keto, and absolutely delicious! Topped with creamy and melty cheese, you’ll never miss the crust or the calories.
Portobello Mushroom Pizza Recipe
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your DINNER Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Keto Portobello Mushroom Pizza
Low carb isn’t a diet, it’s a way of eating for life. And with easy, healthy recipes that can be created and cooked in so many different ways, it’s not hard! This Portobello mushroom pizza recipe can be made in the oven, cooked on the stovetop, or even grilled outdoors! Serve these hearty mini pizzas with some roasted cauliflower and dill dip for dipping. Don’t forget a refreshing pitcher of slimming detox water!
Ingredients and Variations
MUSHROOMS – Start with fresh, firm Portobello mushrooms, with no dark spots.
MEAT – Italian sausage can be replaced with salami, pepperoni, even leftover shredded chicken or turkey. Save some cash while you’re saving some carbs and use up those leftovers!
SAUCE – Find tomato sauce or marinara that is low carb and low sugar, or make your own homemade.
CHEESE – Be generous with the cheese, which is a low carb lover’s dream! Feel free to use any favorite kind of cheese, it’s hard to go wrong with this recipe.
How To Cook Portobello Mushroom Pizza
This homemade Portobello Mushroom Pizza recipe is as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
- Prep mushroom according to recipe card below. Bake the mushroom caps in the oven to remove moisture.
- Brown sausage and drain. Add tomato sauce, paste, (or prepared marinara), and oregano and simmer until thickened, taste and add salt, pepper, other seasonings.
- Fill the baked mushroom caps with meat mixture and sprinkle with cheeses. Return portobello pizzas to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted
PRO TIP: Place finished pizzas under the broiler for about 2 minutes to get a crispy, browned top effect.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Portobello mushroom pizzas are always best when they are fresh from the oven!
- Avoid rinsing mushrooms in water since they will absorb the water and get soft during baking, just brush them off gently and prepare. The gills can be added to the meat/sauce mixture or frozen and saved for another recipe or soup stock.
- Sprinkle on some extra cheese or sliced black olives or jalapenos before serving.
- Portobello mushroom pizzas will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Place the pizzas on top of a few folded pieces of paper towel to absorb moisture.
- Reheat them in a toaster oven or pop them under the broiler for about 5 minutes before serving.
Can You Freeze Portobello Mushroom Pizzas?
You sure can! For best results, follow these simple tips for freezing:
- Wrap each completely cooled pizza tightly in plastic wrap and place in a zippered bag (two or three per quart-sized bag) labeled with the date on the outside.
- They’ll keep for about 3 months.
- Let them thaw naturally in the refrigerator and reheat them in a toaster oven or under the broiler.
Low Carb Dinner Ideas To Try!
- Easy Low Carb Meat Sauce – perfect for this recipe!
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – tasty dinner!
- Zoodle Spaghetti and Meatballs – you won’t even miss the pasta.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti Sauce – so versatile!
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup low carb tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- toppings as desired
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Clean mushrooms, remove stems, and use a spoon to scrape out the dark gills.
- Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and place open side down on a baking pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- While mushrooms are baking, brown the sausage until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and oregano. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove mushroom caps from the oven, fill with the meatsauce mixture, top with mozzarella cheese, parmesan and other toppings as desired.
- Place back into the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes or until tender and cheese is melted. Broil 2 minutes if desired.