Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes are easy on the waistline and mouthwateringly tasty!
Make good use of those cherry tomatoes that are overflowing in your garden with this super easy recipe! These little cherry bombs are the perfect summer appetizer for outdoor parties, barbecues, and potlucks!
© Easy Low Carb.com
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
Pin it to your APPETIZER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Bite-sized, colorful, and nutritious, these cherry tomatoes will definitely satisfy! Stuffed with a cream cheese filling that is blended with spices and fresh herbs, they are low carb and perfect for those on a ketogenic diet. This is one appetizer that’s easy to prepare and elegant to serve!
Are Tomatoes Low Carb?
Tomatoes are incredibly healthy. Technically, a tomato is a fruit, but they are often eaten as vegetables. They are loaded with Vitamin C and a dose of fiber which brings their digestible carbohydrate content way down. A full cup of cherry tomatoes only has 4 net grams of carbs- so help yourself!
What To Do With Cherry Tomatoes?
This is the time of year when those garden tomatoes really grow like crazy, don’t they? Eat them straight from the vine, or put them in a buffalo chicken salad, or a cucumber feta salad. Save larger tomatoes or Romas to add flavor and texture to homemade meat sauce!
How To Make Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuffed cherry tomatoes are super fun to make! Get the kids involved in prepping this healthy snack!
- Cut top off the tomatoes and scoop the insides out with a small spoon or melon baller tool.
- Place the tomatoes upside down on a paper towel to drain while the filling is being prepared.
- Crumble together the feta, cream cheese and herbs.
- Scoop cheese into each tomato and garnish with fresh herbs.
Storing Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- These cherry tomatoes can be prepared in advance, plated on a presentation platter and covered with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator until they are ready to be served. This method is perfect for pre-party prep and is a great way to greet early guests with an appetizer!
- You can make stuffed cherry tomatoes a day ahead of a party as long as they are covered and kept in the refrigerator! For the freshest presentation, fill them with cheese mixture just before serving.
Can I Freeze Tomatoes?
Freezing cherry tomatoes is easy! Simply, rinse them, pat them dry, and freeze them on a baking sheet. When they are completely frozen, place them in a dated freezer bag. They should last about 8 weeks, frozen. They might thaw a little softer than they were before freezing. But they can still be used in a variety of recipes!
However, we don’t recommend freezing these Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes—this is one appetizer that’s intended to be served fresh!
Should You Refrigerate Tomatoes?
Tomatoes that are not quite ripe can be left on the counter or even in a brown bag to ripen. Once they are ripe, it’s best to use them right away, for that’s when garden tomatoes taste the best!
If tomatoes can’t be used within a day or two of ripening, refrigerate them and use within the week. They may not be as tasty as they were fresh off the vine, but they will still taste amazing!
More Low Carb Appetizers To Try!
- Buffalo Chicken Bites – protein packed.
- Air Fryer Kale Chips – easy snack.
- Warm Bacon Dip – everyone’s favorite.
- Low Carb Ranch Dressing & Dip – excellent for dipping.
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 block feta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Rinse cherry tomatoes and slice off a small piece of the 'bottom'
- Using a small spoon or tomato corer, scoop out the insides of each tomato and discard. Place tomatoes upside down on paper towel while preparing the filling
- Very finely crumble the feta cheese. Combine feta, cream cheese, and all seasonings and herbs. Mix with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Using a small spoon or piping bag, fill each tomato with the cheese mixture.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.