Shredded Pork Tacos will add a spicy kick to your next meal!
Nothing beats pork shoulder that has been simmered long and slow until it becomes tender, juicy and shreddable. This meat soaks up all that homemade spicy chipotle sauce for incredible flavor. Wrap it in a low-carb tortilla or serve it over a bed of riced cauliflower. Either way, it will be hard not to love this recipe!
Easy Pork Tacos Recipe!
- Pork shoulder, picnic roast, or butt roast are so good when they are simmered low and slow. The fat in these cuts makes the meat tender and juicy and so easy to shred.
- Toss the shredded meat with a spicy tomato sauce then wrap it up in a delicious warm low carb tortilla, or with cauliflower rice.
- This shredded pork recipe is also low in calories and so simple to make.
Ingredients and Variations
PORK: Buy pork shoulder or butt roast. This cut of pork shreds well and is perfect for adding to the tostadas and soaking up all that sauce.
SAUCE: A can of your favorite low-carb tomato sauce, some oregano, chipotle peppers, garlic, and onions make this sauce sizzle with spiciness and flavor. When buying chipotle peppers make sure that they are intact, and have a clean smooth outer surface. If using dried peppers the sun-dried ones are the better choice. Fresh peppers can also be replaced with some chipotle powder.
VARIATIONS: The pork can be replaced with some shredded chicken. It will cook quicker and will still soak up all that spicy sauce.
How To Make Shredded Pork Tacos
The pork takes a while to cook, but once it is finished it will be juicy tender and so good with the spicy sauce.
- Boil the pork, onion, and seasonings. Remove it and shred with a fork.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook onions. Add the shredded pork.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chipotle and bay leaves. Cook until thickened (as per the recipe below).
- Heat tostadas, then add the pork to the tostadas and enjoy!
- Pork tacos taste so good in a bowl with some riced cauliflower or wrapped in some preheated low-carb tortillas or tostadas.
- But don’t forget all the other fixin’s that make wraps like this so tasty. Load them up with some shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheese like cojita, some cilantro, sour cream, and avocado salsa.
- To save time make the meat ahead of time, and then prepare the sauce the night the meat and then cook the meat with the sauce.
- Pork Tacos will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Any leftovers can be frozen and make a great quick lunch or dinner. Allow the meat to thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in a pan with a little oil.
- Before cooking the pork, remember to remove the excess fat from the meat. And when chopping chipotle peppers handle carefully and avoid touching your eyes!
Other Delish Pork Recipes!
- Crispy Pork Bites – a tasty snack
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet – a complete meal
- Pan Seared Pork Chops – so flavorful
- Best Pork Loin Roast Recipe – tender!
Shredded Pork Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder or butt roast
- 2 onions divided
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 minced chipotle peppers or 2 teaspoons dried chipotle chile powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup vegetable oil or less
- 12 low carb tortillas
- Trim fat from pork shoulder and cut into 1 inch pieces. Cut one onion into large chunks.
- Place pork, onion chunks, garlic, ½ teaspoon oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large sauce pan, and add 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, covered over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium heat, move the lid to the side so that the saucepan is partially covered, and cook about 1 ½ hours. Occasionally, skim off any foam that accumulates.
- Once pork is fork tender, reserve 1 cup liquid, and drain remaining liquid.
- Discard onion pieces and shred pork.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Chop remaining onion and add to the skillet with the pork and oregano. Cook over medium-high heat until the pork is browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce, minced chipotle peppers, bay leaves and reserved cooking water. Simmer until the sauce is thickened. Discard bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and brush tortillas with a bit of oil and season with salt.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook about 8-10 or until browned.
- Add a generous portion of pork on each tostada and add toppings of your choice.
- Pork can be served over tostada shells, in tortillas, or over cauliflower rice.
- Optional - To Fry Tostadas:
- Heat vegetable oil in 8-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Poke tortillas with a fork and fry until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Prep meat and sauce ahead of time, and reheat when ready to serve.
- Refrigerate pork tacos, covered, for up to 2 days. Freeze leftovers, thaw and reheat in a pan, or the microwave, for a quick lunch or dinner.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Shredded Pork Tacos recipe
adapted from Americas Test Kitchen
Can I use pork chops for this recipe as an alternative?
I haven’t tried it so I can’t say for sure KC. If you try it I would love to hear how it turns out!